Strange question re: changing version name on Win7 logon screen

rush24t3

2[H]4U
I've a friend who's bugging me to death about a cosmetic Windows 7 question. He wants to know if you can change the version of Windows that displays on the logon screen. He has Win7 Home Premium, but wants his logon screen to say "Windows 7 Professional."

I've tried to figure out WHY he wants this change so badly, but I'd rather just know if it's possible or not so I can finally shoo him away. Google brings up just the wallpaper changer software.

I thought maybe you could change it using regedit, but thought I'd ask here before I tell him that.

TIA

I've a friend who's bugging me to death about a cosmetic Windows 7 question. He wants to know if you can change the version of Windows that displays on the logon screen. He has Win7 Home Premium, but wants his logon screen to say "Windows 7 Professional."

I've tried to figure out WHY he wants this change so badly, but I'd rather just know if it's possible or not so I can finally shoo him away. Google brings up just the wallpaper changer software.

I thought maybe you could change it using regedit, but thought I'd ask here before I tell him that.

TIA

The "why" sounds like he is trying to scam someone. Tell him you will give him a definitive answer when he tells you why it is so important to him.

Heh, yeah, sounds a little shady. I would think if someone wanted to change it to have a better version just to look cool, you'd choose Ultimate or Enterprise.

But if he is trying to rip someone off, whoever it is, will know immediately because Group Policy editor won't work and a few other features of Professional.

According to him, he has Home Premium but wanted it to show as Professional so that people don't think he's cheap, lol.

He IS quite vain, so it's probably the truth.

ha.

If you figure out how, say you'll do the fix... but change it to Tacky Cheapskate Edition instead of Professional Edition.

Back