• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Strange "problem"

kniaugaudiskis

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
269
Hello everyone,
A few weeks ago I built the following system:
MB: ASUS P7P55D PRO;
CPU: Intel Core i5 2,66GHz @ 3,33GHz;
RAM: 2 x 2GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz CL8;
VGA: Radeon HD5870;
HDD: 2 x 1,5TB
PSU: HEC 500W (taken from my older computer).

Everything runs great, computer passes all 3DMarks, runs Prime95 stable for hours but weirdly enough, once I type my user name and password in one website and hit "enter" - the computer restarts (Firefox 3.5.5 + Win XP PRO SP3, reverting BIOS settings to default doesn't help either)! I've tried that for 3 times and restarts struck again and again. What is more, I don't receive any BSOD or notification massage on startup. The problem disappears when I try to enter the same website with Win 7 Ultimate x64 via same Firefox. To be honest, I've had same problem with PC Mark05 in XP (not Win 7) but patching did the job. What do you think the reason is? Incompatibility between new hardware and old OS? Haven't you ever had similar curiosities? Any experience appreciated. Thank you!
 
Last edited:
yea PSU problem sounds about right. Asking an old 500W PSU to handle all of that is probably pushing it.
 
I hope both the previous answers were joking..


It's obvious your manly computer doesn't like the gay porn site you are trying to log into.
 
I bet the power supply is the cause.

I bet you're wrong.

yea PSU problem sounds about right. Asking an old 500W PSU to handle all of that is probably pushing it.

And you didn't read the OP either.

I hope both the previous answers were joking..

It's obvious your manly computer doesn't like the gay porn site you are trying to log into.

It's not the PSU. If it passes P95 and 3d06, which loads the machine a helluva lot more than Firefox, it's not the PSU.

OP, have you tried different browsers like IE, Chrome, Opera? That's one strange ass issue to have for sure.
 
No, it applies solely to Firefox while running under Win XP with SP3. What is more, a few days ago while trying to access that page Firefox simply used to crash, but now it restarts the whole system. Most of the time I spend with Win 7 now, which runs very stable but the restarting problem under XP just as soon as I hit "Sign In" button to Loc**rz is a mystery to me.
 
Does it reboot like the username and password submit button is some sort of reboot button, or does the computer lock up for a second and then reboot? And did you check the Event logs for error reports?
 
Just for shits and giggles, try another browser. What if its a conflict between os and software. Or something was messed up in the install
 
Does it reboot like the username and password submit button is some sort of reboot button, or does the computer lock up for a second and then reboot? And did you check the Event logs for error reports?
Yes, the computer restarts immediately after pushing the "Sign In" button without any lock up or report in Event logger. However, this is not a big problem to me since I use Windows 7 more often. :)
 
actually start firefox in safemode, check the boxes "Disable all addons"
start firefox normally,
try site

enable one addon at a time.

i had this issue and i am using win7 and it just keept crashing my pc.. now i got what i want enabled and therest of the addons are not enable.
 
actually start firefox in safemode, check the boxes "Disable all addons"
start firefox normally,
try site

enable one addon at a time.

i had this issue and i am using win7 and it just keept crashing my pc.. now i got what i want enabled and therest of the addons are not enable.


This sounds like a reasonable solution, thank you!
 
Here's another idea.

Pull down Firefox Portable and toss it on a usb drive and don't add any addons. See if you get the same behavior. If it's cool then add the addons that you normally use to the usb stick install one at a time.

You can of course try disabling addons as the above post suggests. I would try both personally.
 
Back
Top