• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Strange problem with 5970

Halbrium

n00b
Joined
Feb 17, 2010
Messages
30
I have another new problem with my 5970 (I fixed the 2d crashes by OCing the 2d clockspeed)


In League of Legends, I noticed some hitching, about every 9th second there would seem to be about a quarter of a second of missing frames. In a MOBA game this is very bad and makes it harder to play well. I fiddled with it four hours finally figuring out the issue...

Vertical Sync.

Disabling made it run perfectly however I hate tearing so I want to try and fix this.

Also I tried wow and I kid you not the same thing happens...every 8-9th second or so, hitching. Removing vertical sync stops the issue.

Help!
 
when I play LoL, I dont have tearing issue when I disable Vsync..

even when I turn on, the issue still not there.......

anyway, try to disable the CCC - AI... that will disable CF.. see if it helps.
 
I really would RMA the card, having to overclock the 2D speeds to stop it from crashing is not normal.
 
No. Almost all the 5970 out there are doing this. 2d idle clocks are too low.
 
I had to increase clock speeds (not OC, just increase the 2D clock speeds a bit) when using 2D and multiple monitors.

But with 10.2 I haven't had to do this, so it appears to be a driver issue that was fixed.
 
You might want to use GPU-Z to verify that you are no longer OCed in 2d. Overdrive actually lies and says its still 157 for some reason. Even if you delete the profile, or create new profiles, or even uninstall everything it stays oced. I have no idea why.

The only way I have been able to get it back to true 157 (where it reads that way in GPU-Z) is to restore global factor defaults in the CCC preferences menu.
 
No. Almost all the 5970 out there are doing this. 2d idle clocks are too low.

Whats your source on "almost all the 5970s" behaving like this? I have a 5970 and it's been fine, and I've seen several polls on the matter and the majorety of 5xxx cards are OK, there are just a few that behave like this.

Irrelevent of numbers, if the card does not function correctly and you need to change clock speeds to stabalize it, then it needs to RMA'd, there's no way to tell how a small problem lik this might become a bigger one later in the cards life.
 
I will be RMAing the card if I can't get stability with beta 1.3 drivers I am installing tonight

While the OC solution did work, I agree it could indicate a short lifespan.
 
Yes, an overclock will deffo shorten a components lifespan....but how long do peeps actually keep the items they are clocking. I mean most of us get rid after12mths or so, so even if we do clock the life out of a CPU / GPU we will never see the effects TBH.

I have just received back my NEW 5970 after I RMA'ed the Sapphire 5970 for that clocking issue and "Out Of Range" errors. So hopefully its all good now.
 
No. Almost all the 5970 out there are doing this. 2d idle clocks are too low.

No, only the massive number of 5870 and 5970s that don't operate properly at specified 2d clocks out there are doing it actually.

So far I've had:
1 XFX 5870 - green artifacts in aero, green artifacts in 2d mode when at low 2d clocks
2 Diamond 5870 - green artifacts in aero, green artifacts in 2d mode when at low 2d clocks
1 Visiontek 5870 - green artifacts in aero, green artifacts in 2d mode when at low 2d clocks, died after 2 weeks of operation, unable to RMA to visiontek, returned to retailer.

Now I use a new set of cards 1 xfx and 2 diamond 5870s, and the problem does not occur. It is a problem with the cards, and people need to stop spreading BS that there is something not wrong with them.

You can resolve the issue by applying a faster 2d clock, but the cards are not working as intended and the manufacturers are being pricks about getting the cards RMAed, that needs to stop.
 
I had 4 different 5970 from different brands (Asus, Sappphire, HIS and Powercolor), all watercooled, and all of them did exactly that. Raising the 2d idle clock values solved the problems for the 4 cards, in 4 different systems.

After raising the clock, they were all rock-stable, and still are. Driver problem for this specific problem only. Not an hardware problem.

Your system is probably the problem, not the cards. I have 4 different computers at home, always the same problem with the 4 cards. Rock-stable when raising the 2 idle clock values. So it's a driver problem.
 
Really? Thats amazing because three people posted in this thread with the 2d idle problems not occuring at all, and with a copious number of replacement video cards, I no longer have the issue at all either.

Pretty amazing that a problem that can be resolved by getting an actual, non-defective card can be attributed to 'nerp problems with ur system derp'

Maybe ATI should take the time to update the driver to not run at speeds they haven't reliably tested all the cards they put out to work at. Until that happens, the cards are being made to run at speeds they aren't capable of, and should be returned as defective instead of crapstick xml editing.
 
Not everyone has dual monitors. Powerplay works just damn fine with a single monitor. I have flickering at 157/300 on the second monitor, but I googled an answer and found it. I just don't see why there is so much endless bitching about this.

XFX doesn't even RMA for this issue.
 
Not everyone has dual monitors. Powerplay works just damn fine with a single monitor. I have flickering at 157/300 on the second monitor, but I googled an answer and found it. I just don't see why there is so much endless bitching about this.

XFX doesn't even RMA for this issue.

They sure do if you have a dual-link DVI monitor that works fine with a competitors card.
 
I have 2 dual-link DVI monitors that "run fine" with an EVGA 8600GTS installed. I posted a question to XFX support and they recommended the 9.12 hotfix. Separate googling showed me that the clocks needed to be at least 400/900 in 2D mode for dual monitor support. I set them and then forgot about it.

Again, I don't understand the endless whining about this.
 
Because the cards don't run properly at rated speed? What happens if ATI changes the driver profiles and all of a sudden you can't set an overriding 2d clock a couple years down the road? Thats right, what is now just an annoyance becomes a defective card, a defective card you can no longer return.

The fact remains, on my dell 3007 wfp, artifacts persisted until I got a set of 3 5870s that were good. Tons of people have the problem with 5970s, and quite a few people do not. It's pretty easy to narrow down a problem when you have 3 reference cards from different AIB partners and only some of them are unable to drive a dual link display.

Swap card - oh it does it. Swap card, oh it doesn't. Swap card, oh it does it. Swap card, oh it doesn't. Not rocket science, and a pretty clear indication of a problem card wouldn't you think? Oh wait - you wouldn't.
 
Because the cards don't run properly at rated speed? What happens if ATI changes the driver profiles and all of a sudden you can't set an overriding 2d clock a couple years down the road?

What in their past history would lead you to believe that they'd do this?

The fact remains, on my dell 3007 wfp, artifacts persisted until I got a set of 3 5870s that were good. Tons of people have the problem with 5970s, and quite a few people do not. It's pretty easy to narrow down a problem when you have 3 reference cards from different AIB partners and only some of them are unable to drive a dual link display.

I'm not saying the fucking problem doesn't exist... I've experienced it. I'm just saying I don't care about it because the fix is extremly simple and is resolved by a few minutes of googling.

I'm a whiny bitch. Deal with it.

fixed
 
Right, so you're a prick, and ATI shouldn't fix the defective GPUs they've been crapping out because you can hack up an xml file to fix it on a temporary basis.

Thats kinda what I thought. People bitch because the PRODUCT IS DEFECTIVE. So maybe use your brains next time, clean the dick out of your ears, and pay attention instead of just being a total overgrown nutnugget.

You're basically telling people to apply a stopgap in perpetuity, which in the hardware / software world, doesn't really fly, especially on 1200$ worth of graphics cards.
 
You both are right, this should not be happening to a product yet it is, though the card in my opinion is not defective. I own a new production Asus on 2560x1600 and immediately had issues. After looking into the widespread problem I was able to work around it and feel that it is not hardware related. I would rather easily remedy the problem myself then be out a card and likely have the same results.
 
Back
Top