strange problem w/ vista update, dunno where to go from here

goodcooper

[H]F Junkie
besides reloading...

got a vista machine, users says they did an update, weren't sure if it was legit or not

anyway, the machine boots and acts like it's installing updates (black screen, white type, xxxx/xxxxx files installed)

and all it says is

!! 0xc0190036 !! 2592/54721 (PenIMC.dll)

and will sit there for 3 hours

i mean i guess there is always a reload, but it seems like it's locked up on installing updates

Black screen and white print isn't a vista update screen, a chkdisk would give you that but not an update. Can you boot into safe mode?

Black screen and white print isn't a vista update screen, a chkdisk would give you that but not an update. Can you boot into safe mode?

you may not notice it, because it runs really fast on faster machines, but i've seen this screen on vista/7 after a big update, it'll reboot w/ that screen showing files copied...

in this case the file is aparrently corrupted... i ran the chkdsk, and it found a bunch of errors, and i'm trying to delete this PenIMC.dll and it's not letting me, saying only "TrustedInstaller" can access it... now i need to go screw with the permissions

Back