Strange problem, could be Everest?

jds29

n00b
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
13
I have a Logitech G15 and I like to run Everest Ultimate to monitor my temps. I have 2 5870s in xfire and a Phenom 2 x4 965 c3. I run it at 3.9 ghz 24/7 and it does a good job. The thing is recently I've been playing a little Modern Warfare 2, and noticing some FPS drops. When I look down at my G15 I notice my processor can be running as low as 1.8 ghz. I would normally chalk this up to a problem with Everest reporting, but the fps dropping coincides with this. I have turned off AMD Cool and Quiet, and tested some other games and don't see the same problem, although I have noticed that it never stays at a solid 3900 MHz, and drops from time to time, yet with no effect on gameplay.

I also went ahead and went into my bios and set everything to default thinking it could be the overclock, but it happens at the default 3.4 GHz as well. When I stress test the cpu (with Everest, Prime, or Burn Test) it never down-clocks and all the tests pass fine. Is this a coding issue with the game or could it have something to do with the video drivers? I'm at a loss. The truth is I hardly play the game anymore, but because there is a problem I am intrigued because I can't figure out why the hell it's happening.
 
Its a power management feature most modern motherboards have. Yours dont seem to be working right, turn it off in the MOBO settings somewhere i have no idea whats its called for AMD chips.

Is cool & quiet the only option?

Check the multiplier when it does it.
 
ya, I'm running Everest 5.50.2100, and I'm running the 10.4 cats released today.
 
hmm, did you disable Cool 'N Quite in the BIOS or through AMD Overdrive?

@Disposed, in AMD systems Cool N' Quite is the downclocking feature AMD uses, typically it works well, unless your always using your CPU then it doesnt really matter:p
 
I disabled it in the bios.

Here's my specs:

MB: MSI 790FX GD70
CPU: Phenom 2 x4 965 c3
PSU: Corsair TX 850
GPU: 2x Asus EAH 5870
Mem: Corsair DDR3 1600
 
not sure, maybe try updating your bios ? might be an error occuring there causing Cool N' Quite to start
 
Back
Top