strange problem: can ping, but not web browse or update

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Bo_Bice, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Bo_Bice

Bo_Bice Gawd

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for this strange problem.

a windows xp computer with service pack 2 can ping any web site, browse the LAN and transfer large files just fine. but internet explorer nor firefox can web browse. Also, Antivir, the antivirus program cannot update, and neither can Ad-aware.

I've tried so many things I can't even remember all of them. I've tried reseting winsock in netsh, flushing the DNS cache. uninstalling the network adapter and installing it again, different drivers, but still no go. Anyone have any ideas?

2. BollWeevil

BollWeevil Limp Gawd

Sounds like you've tested all the basics. I take it other PCs on your LAN can access the internet fine? There aren't any MAC filters or restrictions set on your router that might block you are there? Do you have any firewall software installed that might be blocking you?

You might try downloading Ethereal via another PC and taking a look at the traffic dump to see what state the connection stalls.

3. memphis_1220

memphis_1220 Limp Gawd

As the previous poster said, check to see if your firewall is blocking web traffic.

Can you access a webpage by ipaddress instead of fqdn. i.e:

64.233.167.99 but not www.google.com?

4. Kaos

Kaos [H]ard|Gawd

what about traceroutes?

have you tried this outside of you internal network (directly into dsl/cable, very quickly do this, not all that safe)

make sure in your router you have entered DNS addresses make the primary dns your routers (or if you run dns in house) address and the secondary something like 4.2.2.1 (verizon dns).

make sure that port 53 isnt being blocked in any way shape or form
    make sure 80 isnt being blocked

keep us posted.

5. Luke1294

Luke1294 n00b

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Download/run that, espically if youve done any antispyware/antivirus work on the machine lately. I run into that problem alot during tech work, and a good bit of the time the winsock fix gets it running nicely.

6. Kaos

Kaos [H]ard|Gawd

forgot all about that, the winsock repair utility fixes alot of issues after a spyware ripout.