strange problem: can ping, but not web browse or update

Bo_Bice

Gawd
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for this strange problem.

a windows xp computer with service pack 2 can ping any web site, browse the LAN and transfer large files just fine. but internet explorer nor firefox can web browse. Also, Antivir, the antivirus program cannot update, and neither can Ad-aware.

I've tried so many things I can't even remember all of them. I've tried reseting winsock in netsh, flushing the DNS cache. uninstalling the network adapter and installing it again, different drivers, but still no go. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like you've tested all the basics. I take it other PCs on your LAN can access the internet fine? There aren't any MAC filters or restrictions set on your router that might block you are there? Do you have any firewall software installed that might be blocking you?

You might try downloading Ethereal via another PC and taking a look at the traffic dump to see what state the connection stalls.

As the previous poster said, check to see if your firewall is blocking web traffic.

Can you access a webpage by ipaddress instead of fqdn. i.e:

64.233.167.99 but not www.google.com?

what about traceroutes?

have you tried this outside of you internal network (directly into dsl/cable, very quickly do this, not all that safe)

make sure in your router you have entered DNS addresses make the primary dns your routers (or if you run dns in house) address and the secondary something like 4.2.2.1 (verizon dns).

make sure that port 53 isnt being blocked in any way shape or form
make sure 80 isnt being blocked

keep us posted.

forgot all about that, the winsock repair utility fixes alot of issues after a spyware ripout.

Back