Limp Gawd
Well, I guess I'll start with my basic system and OS specs :

Windows XP Pro - SP1
Pentium 4 2.8c (@ 3.08ghz)
2x512 MB PC3200 Geil Dual-Channel(Platinum)Memory
SB Live! Sound Card
Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb
Gigabyte mobo(Dual BIOS)*forget exact model*

Basically, I'd been having small issues with my video card causing my pc to restart once in a while(very rarely). As well as a possible memory error(unsure of hardware or software related). But then just recently, as I went to update my OS to SP2, the Windows Update page would freeze...actually, it wouldn't even load. I also get an explorer.exe error whenever I open my "CS Movies" folder in "My Document"(something to do with the xvid codec). I found out that a lot of people have been having these types of issues, being or being related to not being able to load the Windows Update page.
They list 5 ways in a specific order to fix the problem, on the Microsoft site. So I tried the steps...3 times. Still doesn't work. I have NO Problem loading any other page/site except the Windows Update page. My pc is working flawlessly with the exception of this issue, so formatting is at the VERY end of my list of possible fixes right now(You know how it is, you've gotten EVERY little tweak on your pc exactly how you want it to be forever and ever, and REFUSE to re-do it all). If anyone has any info that could help me with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to share it. Im desperate( I NEED SP2!!).

*** Also, I forgot to mention, its not JUST the page that I'm having this issue with. Even when I go to click on the Automatic Updates tab after I go to "My Computer > Properties", I get an error involving "Run a DLL as an APP". I don't understand the issue...its so isolated to the windows update, yet I can't seem to figure out how or why.

EnFoRcEr!! said:
Well, I guess I'll start with my basic system and OS specs :

Windows XP Pro - SP1
Pentium 4 2.8c (@ 3.08ghz)
2x512 MB PC3200 Geil Dual-Channel(Platinum)Memory
SB Live! Sound Card
Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb
Gigabyte mobo(Dual BIOS)*forget exact model*

Basically, I'd been having small issues with my video card causing my pc to restart once in a while(very rarely). As well as a possible memory error(unsure of hardware or software related). But then just recently, as I went to update my OS to SP2, the Windows Update page would freeze...actually, it wouldn't even load. I also get an explorer.exe error whenever I open my "CS Movies" folder in "My Document"(something to do with the xvid codec). I found out that a lot of people have been having these types of issues, being or being related to not being able to load the Windows Update page.
They list 5 ways in a specific order to fix the problem, on the Microsoft site. So I tried the steps...3 times. Still doesn't work. I have NO Problem loading any other page/site except the Windows Update page. My pc is working flawlessly with the exception of this issue, so formatting is at the VERY end of my list of possible fixes right now(You know how it is, you've gotten EVERY little tweak on your pc exactly how you want it to be forever and ever, and REFUSE to re-do it all). If anyone has any info that could help me with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to share it. Im desperate( I NEED SP2!!).

*** Also, I forgot to mention, its not JUST the page that I'm having this issue with. Even when I go to click on the Automatic Updates tab after I go to "My Computer > Properties", I get an error involving "Run a DLL as an APP". I don't understand the issue...its so isolated to the windows update, yet I can't seem to figure out how or why.

Strange issue, but just outta curiosity, have you been checking for spyware / malware recently? This almost sounds like some issues I've seen on teacher machines at work (school system tech dept), and you wouldn't believe how much spyware we've been finding on their systems.

Ax

Have you tried going to Microsoft's site and downloading the service pack from there instead of using automatic updates?

Here is the link

Its a bigger download then the automatic updates but should work.

That's odd...lol. Well, for starters, thanks for the link, its working(d/l now). The odd part though, is when I would recieve an error(mostly recently), it would let me know that I didnt have SP2, and would link me to this page(the SP2 d/l page). It would freeze everytime I clicked it. For some reason your link didnt do that... :confused: Oh well, either way. Thanks for the help, hopefully SP2 fixes the problem(s). THANKS AGAIN!

Back