• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Strange No Sound/Some Sound problem.

cspringer

n00b
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
3
Hi,
Sound was working fine for years until this week.

Here is the setup...

Motherboard Realtek 5.1

1.Connection to Logitech 5.1 speakers
2. Connection to stereo sound bar on monitor.

All files will play when using only the Logitech speakers using any media player but I don't always have this connected to my PC...used mainly for HDTV/cable.

Sound bar monitor speakers will play all internet and will play an old file I made using a TV card on all software players. It will not play any sound (any format) on movies or music (.wav, mpeg, etc.) except for that 1 file.

So...there is sound coming out of the sound bar (i.e., internet) but not all. All sounds are coming out of the Logitech speakers when plugged into the computer.

I updated Realtek driver and codecs for Windows 7. I thought they might have gotten corrupted but it didn't help.

I tried to repair Windows 7 with the CD but because it doesn't have SP1 and my old files (for windows pre SP1 ) were deleted years ago it will not work. Maybe someone knows a workaround. I did chkdisk. I even installed a second Windows on another HD to try and capture the Old files but no luck.

System Restore did not work either.

I put some music files on a flash drive and played on another PC with no problems. Again, keep in mind the play fine on my computer when using the Logitech speakers.

Thanks for any help.
 
Sounds like Windows is set to 5.1 speaker config, so when you hook up the sound bar, it only plays some of the channels while the 5.1 system plays them all properly? Try setting it to stereo.
 
Thanks for the reply,
It didn't help but keep in mind that the sound bar does work for IE (tv shows, youtube, etc.) and also that 1 file. This is what is confusing. If it didn't work at all it would make sense. If the files didn't work through the Logitech speakers then I would think they were corrupted but they work. If the media players (BSPlayer, WMP, VLC, etc.) didn't play through the Logitech speakers I would think they were corrupted but they work.
Regards
 
well...almost fixed.

I changed the connection in the back of the PC and made adjustment to Realtek Audio Manager. Almost all files are now working in the sound bar. Since I have not used Realtek Audio Manager for a long time the only thing I can think of that might have happened is a Windows Update corrupted it or perhaps another software install. Perhaps this info might help others with a similar problem.
 
You also never mentioned default audio devices. You can tell specific programs to play to different devices. For instance our HTPC plays everything by default to the receiver, however for one thingk VIOP clients we tell the client to play to the headphones. Maybe someone accidentally changed one of these settings.

So check in specific programs and look for audio settings where you might be able to change the output device. You don't usually see it in most programs but if you use any VIOP like teamspeak, Ventrilo, mumble you will probably be used to seeing those options.

Also windows separates default communications device from default device. Right click on sound icon > playback devices > right click on your device > set as default communication device, or set as default device.
 
Back
Top