• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Strange Issue with Revolution 7.1

Stanley Pain

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 5, 2001
Messages
2,510
Every so often I get strange sounds from my speakers.

It starts off as light white noise and gets louder. As it gets louder the pitch and frequency change really quickly, and turns into a wooshing sound, and then goes away.

I usually have to reboot at this point since no sound comes out.

Can this be a faulty card?

Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
Plug in a different set of speakers or some headphones and note the difference if any. The problem you describe sounds like the product of poor interconnect or shielding. With many computer speaker setups, the speaker interconnects often find themselves intertangled with power or high frequency data cables, which causes interference. Cables oriented in quasi-parallel positions often suffer inductive effects, causing additional noise. I would check your cable setup and reroute as necessary.
 
I'm not using PC speakers.

Coax Digital to a Denon Receiver. Speaker wires are fine as well.

This happens when I have headphones plugged directly into the card as well.

Hrrm.... dunno what it could be.


Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
Okay, in that case I would blame the card. Can you get it exchanged either through M-Audio or your retailer? I wouldn't mess around with much more troubleshooting; that sounds like the card all right.
 
Highy doubt the place I bought it from will be of any service (cheap prices, lously customer service).

I'll email M-audio and see what their RMA policy is.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
Originally posted by Stanley Pain
No shit?

Damn.. did he get his RMA'd? what happened?

Cheers,

Mr. Pain
Don't listen to duck, lol. The card just went belly up out of sudden one day. Play music for one second then lock up the computer. Reformat + fresh install of XP Pro, same thing. Haven't got around to test on another machine yet. Probably just software problem. It'd been sitting inside the computer ever since I got it when it first came out (M-Audio's first batch :D). I'll keep you updated.
 
Originally posted by Irons82
Don't listen to duck, lol. The card just went belly up out of sudden one day. Play music for one second then lock up the computer. Reformat + fresh install of XP Pro, same thing. Haven't got around to test on another machine yet. Probably just software problem. It'd been sitting inside the computer ever since I got it when it first came out (M-Audio's first batch :D). I'll keep you updated.

Yeah i've had similar issues.

I think I found out what my be causing it. I use foobar for listening to music (FLAC/APE). I have it set to DS 2.0 (happens when I use KS or ASIO as well). I'm also resampling to 96k Hz, 32bit, and all that jazz. I tend to notice that sound problem and/or lockup when I play a game at the same time as listening to music.

This usually happens after I exit the game and stop playing music. It seems the card has a slight problem going between different sampling rates. Or something along those lines. Seems kinda random as well.

I'm going to do some more testing to see what might be the cause.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
i got a first batched r7.1 as well

should i sell mine before the problems start arriving?
 
Hi.

How do we know if we got first batch or not for the revo?:) I would like to know which batch i have:p

Cheers.
Kenn.
 
Back
Top