• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Strange Issue with overclock

psilocybn

n00b
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
29
About every month or so my BIOS goes haywire and resets my CPU back to default 2.4ghz. The BIOS reports the correct settings (3.6ghz), but Windows and CPU-Z says 2.4ghz.

And the only way to fix it seems to be resetting the BIOS to defaults and starting over.


Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Q6600 G0
Bios v F7
FSB=400
CPU=9 (3.6ghz)
vcore=1.505 (reports 1.440 in CPUZ)
PCIE BUS:100mhz
SPD=2.0
4-4-4-12

cpu enhanced halt:eek:ff
cpu thermal monitor: off
EIST:eek:ff
performance enchanced: standard
 
I've had something like that happen twice in about 6 months. I would get a hard crash and reboot and everything is default in the bios. Once i reset it, it shows OK in windows again. Not much help, but I think it may be the board is a little twitchy. I haven't tried a bios update yet, but its on my 'to do' list.
 
I opened up a case with Gigabyte support and they made a suggestion that MIGHT fix this annoying problem.

1. I had to completely reset the CMOS with the jumper
2. Loaded factory defaults in the BIOS, then loaded optimized defaults
3. I loaded all the settings I outlined in the original post with 1 addition
4. Gigabyte support said that I needed to increase the voltage to my memory

The systemboard memory voltage is based on 1.8v (default voltage) My memory is rated at 2.0-2.1v

So I went into the memory voltage control and changed it to +0.3v (1.8v + 0.3v = 2.1v)

I ran the usual burn in tests for 12 hours and then played some Gears of War maxxed @ 1920x1200 for a couple hours which seemed to give my system a work out.

So far so good.... I guess I'll find out in a month or so...
 
I opened up a case with Gigabyte support and they made a suggestion that MIGHT fix this annoying problem.

1. I had to completely reset the CMOS with the jumper
2. Loaded factory defaults in the BIOS, then loaded optimized defaults
3. I loaded all the settings I outlined in the original post with 1 addition
4. Gigabyte support said that I needed to increase the voltage to my memory

The systemboard memory voltage is based on 1.8v (default voltage) My memory is rated at 2.0-2.1v

So I went into the memory voltage control and changed it to +0.3v (1.8v + 0.3v = 2.1v)

I ran the usual burn in tests for 12 hours and then played some Gears of War maxxed @ 1920x1200 for a couple hours which seemed to give my system a work out.

So far so good.... I guess I'll find out in a month or so...
 
I believe I having this exact same problem with my GA-G31M-S2L and the E2180. After resetting the computer, I find myself the E2180 won't read at my usual 3GHz anymore. The BIOS read it 3ghz but when it went to Windows, it back to 2ghz.
 
I was also about to suggest memory voltage.
My system has naughty moments if I run my memory at less than 1.9V.
 
Back
Top