- Joined
- Mar 18, 2010
- Messages
- 14,478
Okay, so I have a really weird problem with my 470. My system specs are:
Phenom II 1090T
Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
2x2gb 1333 7-7-7-20 Patriot
Seasonic M12D 750 watt
EVGA GTX 470
Windows 7 Ultimate
260.99 WHQL drivers
When I install the GTX 470 in the top x16 slot, it crashes every time I log in. I flashed the bios to various bios available on the internet, the only one I've got remotely working is the over-voltage custom EVGA bios. However, it usually freezes within 15 minutes, and most of the time it wouldn't even log into Windows before freezing and rebooting. When it is not frozen, I am able to play games and run furmark. It boots to safe mode just fine, but if I leave it long enough, it freezes. Occasionally, it freezes while in the bios. I have tried all the tricks, disabling HD audio, reinstalling drivers, driver sweeper, trying older versions, etc.
Just as I was about to give up, I decided to put it in my lower slot, which is an x8 electrical slot. Somehow, everything magically worked. No need to disable audio drivers, latest drivers installed, gaming and furmark, no issues. I haven't tried restoring the original EVGA bios yet, because I didn't want to mess what was working. My guess is that the PCI-E interface has some issues in x16 mode, or the x16 interface was damaged somehow (not in the first x8 part), and when it was put in an x8 slot, the damage/issue was bypassed.
The card is not under warranty, so an RMA is out of the question. I got it second-hand off of a guy on Craigslist, who sold it to me at a fantastic price (let's just say less than $100), and he was upfront about the issue, so I knew I was getting a possibly dead card. At that price, I'm not complaining that it won't work in an x16 slot. Just interested in some feedback from fellow [H] members about what might be happening.
Edit: My EVGA GTX 275 and my cousin's PNY GTX 460 works perfectly fine in the x16 slot, so I know the x16 slot is good.
Phenom II 1090T
Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
2x2gb 1333 7-7-7-20 Patriot
Seasonic M12D 750 watt
EVGA GTX 470
Windows 7 Ultimate
260.99 WHQL drivers
When I install the GTX 470 in the top x16 slot, it crashes every time I log in. I flashed the bios to various bios available on the internet, the only one I've got remotely working is the over-voltage custom EVGA bios. However, it usually freezes within 15 minutes, and most of the time it wouldn't even log into Windows before freezing and rebooting. When it is not frozen, I am able to play games and run furmark. It boots to safe mode just fine, but if I leave it long enough, it freezes. Occasionally, it freezes while in the bios. I have tried all the tricks, disabling HD audio, reinstalling drivers, driver sweeper, trying older versions, etc.
Just as I was about to give up, I decided to put it in my lower slot, which is an x8 electrical slot. Somehow, everything magically worked. No need to disable audio drivers, latest drivers installed, gaming and furmark, no issues. I haven't tried restoring the original EVGA bios yet, because I didn't want to mess what was working. My guess is that the PCI-E interface has some issues in x16 mode, or the x16 interface was damaged somehow (not in the first x8 part), and when it was put in an x8 slot, the damage/issue was bypassed.
The card is not under warranty, so an RMA is out of the question. I got it second-hand off of a guy on Craigslist, who sold it to me at a fantastic price (let's just say less than $100), and he was upfront about the issue, so I knew I was getting a possibly dead card. At that price, I'm not complaining that it won't work in an x16 slot. Just interested in some feedback from fellow [H] members about what might be happening.
Edit: My EVGA GTX 275 and my cousin's PNY GTX 460 works perfectly fine in the x16 slot, so I know the x16 slot is good.
Last edited: