Strange Issue while Booting

Spark_Plug

Weaksauce
I leave my computer on 24/7 and when I woke up today I went to my computer and noticed that it would not go to the desktop, so I reset the computer and only the fans would spin up and then shut off again, there are no beeps, there is nothing on the screen the only thing I get is the fans spinning and then shutting off again. I have never seen this before so I don't know what the problem could be. I tried clearing the CMOS but that didn't do anything. I built this computer about a month ago with the following specs:

Intel Q6600
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
EVGA 8800GTX
Corsair HX620
4gb Patriot Memory
320gb 7200.10 Seagate HD

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well I have concluded that it is not the power supply. I switched out the powersupply and tested it in another computer and that all worked fine. When I went to the bare components (Mobo, CPU, Memory and Video) there is no boot. When I remove the video there is no boot and there is a very loud beep for the same amount of time that the computer is on. I have a feeling that it is probably the mobo, I have removed the each stick of memory and the same thing happens. I have no way of testing the CPU though.

Very well could be the motherboard but it sure sounds like a psu issue. If at all possible try a new psu in your machine.

On thing to do is take it all apart and thoroughly remove all dust, one thing that could have happened is oxidization, removing and reseating everything should take care of it. Give it a try.

-Bill

did you try removing hardware out of the case and booting with bare minimum components (vid card and one stick of ram)? also do what Billybob51106 suggested and try different PSU.. if this doesn't do anything it might actually be the mobo.

Well I have concluded that it is not the power supply. I switched out the powersupply and tested it in another computer and that all worked fine. When I went to the bare components (Mobo, CPU, Memory and Video) there is no boot. When I remove the video there is no boot and there is a very loud beep for the same amount of time that the computer is on. I have a feeling that it is probably the mobo, I have removed the each stick of memory and the same thing happens. I have no way of testing the CPU though.

I would try reseating the CPU, maybe it lost contact with the socket. As far as the beeps go this is from Gigabytes web site for your mobo.

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

What I did before was take this one and just disconnected the 24pin power and 4 pin CPU and plugged it into a different machine and the machine booted up just fine. I did this due to the fact that it is much easier than having to redo the other machines wires. When I took everything out the same thing happened. I tried reseating the CPU, same thing happened. I took out the memory and put one stick back in, same thing happened.

alright now I am thinking it is the power supply. Most likely it is, I decided to jumpstart the powersupply just to see if the fan spins and it just happens to start up and then shut off and it would attempt to restart. So I am guessing this is a power supply issue now and not a mobo. I will switch out the power supply with my old Antec 550Watt that I have in my HTPC.

I just tried a friends 580 watt powersupply and jumpstarting it fans spin up and everything. ONce i connect it to the computer fan's spin up and then shut off right away.

edit:

sorry for the multiple posts. also I just tested my Hx620 again and now the fan is working without a problem.

Back