strange internet issue on new pc

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
I am using a brand new Compaq desktop and have ran into an odd issue. the internet will stop working and the little yellow icon will show up but unplugging ethernet cable and plugging it back in will fix it. I go check and the modem is on line and the other comps in the house are just fine when the happens.

this has happened twice in the two days I have used the new pc. the first time I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in and the next time it happnned I unplugged it from the back of the pc and pugged it back in.

we have ethernet throughout the house thats why there is a plug in this room. I have been here five years and used numerous computers in here and have never seen that happen.

so is it likely just an issue with this pc?

Last edited:
Could be a faulty NIC
Could be bum drivers
Could be a faulty patch cable
If it's new, most likely has a gigabit NIC...tough time auto negotiating..as a test try manually setting the NIC speed at 100.

Is this the only Windows 7 rig on your network ? Could be something on your LAN is not happy with IP6...try disabling IP6. Or update firmware on switch/router.

You might also consider changing the power settings on the NIC card to not allow the computer to turn off the NIC Card to save power. That had been in an issue on a few thinkpads I've had over the last few years.

- Urban Core.

Back