Strange internet bandwidth discrepancy between LAN and WLAN

Tyberius

n00b
So... I'm stumped. I've worked as a network admin/general IT tech for Intel, Microsoft, and the county gov't over my career, dealt with some pretty complicated and large LAN/WLAN networks, yet my own home network has me completely at a loss.

I recently moved to a new apartment and got FIOS from Verizon. The package I got is 15m down/2m up. It came with a free Actiontec MI242WR wireless router, and I also have a 54g wireless router from netgear. To interface to these, I have 2 usb 54g netgear adapters, a PCMCIA 54g netgear card, and my integrated intel wireless that comes with the centrino chipset.

Here is my problem: Hardwired into the router, I pull 15m down/2m up pretty consistently using Speakeasy Bandwidth Test ... however, as soon as I run the same test over wireless, I get under 5m down/2m up. Keep in mind this is with a 90-100% 54m signal, I'm not suffering from bandwidth loss due to signal degradation.

Here's what I've done so far:

Swapped the Actiontec router for my Netgear router- same problem.

Tried all of my different wireless adapters in different combinations at varying locations in my house- same problem.

Checked the QOS settings- nothing restricting it there.

Updated all drivers, and firmware on my routers.

Scanned my neighbors wlans, checked what channels they were using (only 3), and made sure to use channels not in use.

I'm at a complete loss as to what would cause this. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

WOW, I get about the same choking symptoms on B as you do G. (10down/1up WAN)
Except I get 4 and you get 5 :(

Did you update to the latest firmware?

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp

On Windows XP systems, be sure to use the Verizon page to optimize your settings below:

http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/

I am going to assume you haven't enabled web site filtering on the Actiontec, because that significantly reduces throughput. I'm also going to assume that you've optimized your settings (with the above page) and updated to the latest NIC drivers on every system. Do any of your systems state the 802.11g sync speed? I know the Actiontec doesn't. Be aware that the "signal strength" isn't necessarily the same thing as "signal quality."

At full 54Mbps sync, usable 802.11g bandwidth maxes out at ~22Mbps. In my home, 802.11g throughput appears to max out at 17Mbps (according to Speakeasy) on the Actiontec, and I had to replace all my 2.4GHz phones with 5.4GHz models to see more than 11-12Mbps from >25 feet. There are four or five other wireless networks in my area from neighbors down the street, but the signals are not strong.

[For reference, I have the 50Mbps plan, but only see that throughput with wired and powerline connections.]

Actiontec recently begun shipping a new version of the MI-424WR to Verizon. The new MI-424WR features a slimmer, cooler asthetic and uses Entropic Communications' latest MoCA chipset, which costs less and runs cooler (and faster too?). The revised MI-424WR is also said to feature an improved wireless radio / antenna for better coverage, although I have not seen any first-hand reports to confirm that. FiOS still has a substantial inventory of the old model, so most new customers probably won't see the new one until this fall.

Do you have the old MI-424WR or the new design? And does your setup use COAX or CAT5 for your WAN? Either way, you can setup the Actiontec as a bridge and use another product to do the actual routing and wireless. I have an older FiOS install with separate COAX and CAT5 runs (the newer Motorola 612 ONTs only support one or the other) and now use a D-Link DIR-655 for my wired and wireless connections.

Did you update to the latest firmware?

Yes, my firmware is the same as what you posted.

On Windows XP systems, be sure to use the Verizon page to optimize your settings below:

I ran that, it made no difference unfortunately.

I'm at a full 54mbps, 90-100% signal quality. Its literally only 15 feet from the router. I do have the older model from Actiontec however, not the newer one. Maybe I can bug Verizon for a newer model, since they've been completely stumped by this. Appreciate the time you took to answer this though, thanks a ton.

I'm at a full 54mbps, 90-100% signal quality. Its literally only 15 feet from the router. I do have the older model from Actiontec however, not the newer one. Maybe I can bug Verizon for a newer model, since they've been completely stumped by this. Appreciate the time you took to answer this though, thanks a ton.
What are you using to determine that you are running at 54Mbps? With most drivers, Windows XP will report 54Mbps anytime that you connect with 802.11g. However, that has nothing to do with the actual sync rate.

The below screenshots are a perfect example.

The x.x.x.112 system is the Playstation3 in my living room. The x.x.x.102 is a PC in an office downstairs. That particular office has a lot of RF interference when certain equipment is on. I turned that equipment on for the above screenshot, and XP showed 54Mbps with signal strength of 4 bars. But look at the actual sync speed, as reported by the D-Link router.

The below screenshot is with that equipment turned off. The signal strength is similar, and Windows reports the same 54Mbps, but the actual sync speed is very different.

I live in a suburban neighborhood, so there is a fair amount of distance between my home and the next. Hence, interference from other 2.4GHz devices, such as cordless phones, cordless mice/keyboards, wireless video cameras, and the like is kept to a minimum. If you live in an apartment complex, there is almost certainly more interference in the 2.4GHz spectrum, even if you see only one or two 802.11g networks. Also remember that Windows will only show wireless networks that broadcast their SSID; many enthusiasts disable their SSID broadcast for security reasons.

On a different note...What model Netgear adapter did you have? If they are Atheros based, newer / better drivers may be available elsewhere.

Back