Strange interference

Namakan

Gawd
I get a strange interference when using the front panel audio jacks of my PC. There is a faint static when the PC is idle and its like a high pitched noise when ever I use something connected to usb (Mouse keyboard, etc) Its extremely annoying. Its only on the front panel. Everything is clear as a bell if I plug into the back. I just have a stock soundcard that came with my motherboard. Nothing fancy (Click for newegg page of motherboard) I guess its a "SupremeFX II". Anyone have idea on what it is and how to fix it?

Is a microphone plugged into the front panel? Try muting the microphone output (not the input). I get static from the front panel and if I mute mic output the noise goes away.

Some cases have shockingly bad front ports. I actually use an extension cable to my PC's rear ports so I dont have to deal with the front ports.

Another thing you can check is the routing of the cable inside your PC running to the front.

Is a microphone plugged into the front panel? Try muting the microphone output (not the input). I get static from the front panel and if I mute mic output the noise goes away.
Nope, its plugged into the back

Some cases have shockingly bad front ports. I actually use an extension cable to my PC's rear ports so I dont have to deal with the front ports.

Another thing you can check is the routing of the cable inside your PC running to the front.

I've been using the extension thing for a workaround lately. its getting sort of annoying though. What am I checking for with the cable running inside my PC? I'm pretty sure its plugged in all the way.

This probably isnt much help to you, but i agree with Tudz, alot of cases have some very poor FP audio connectors. You say that any time anything USB plugged in this occurs, have you tried removing the header for the front panel USB connectors, as on many cases the front panel USB and audio share the same pcb(unless you are using the front USB connectors often).

I had a case a while back that had FP audio plugs for AC'97 and HD on the same set of wires. Since I had a motherboard capable of HD audio, the AC'97 plug was hanging to the side. I was getting a lot of noise and static, so I tried cutting off the extra connector and it went away.

This probably isnt much help to you, but i agree with Tudz, alot of cases have some very poor FP audio connectors. You say that any time anything USB plugged in this occurs, have you tried removing the header for the front panel USB connectors, as on many cases the front panel USB and audio share the same pcb(unless you are using the front USB connectors often).

Its the stuff from the back usb doing it, I only use the front usb for flash drives, sync a zune, pics off my camera and things like that

I had a case a while back that had FP audio plugs for AC'97 and HD on the same set of wires. Since I had a motherboard capable of HD audio, the AC'97 plug was hanging to the side. I was getting a lot of noise and static, so I tried cutting off the extra connector and it went away.

I'll try that, worse comes to worse I can just solder it back on

Please let us know how it went Namakan. I have also a cosmos 1000 and the same trouble as you.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with a Corsair 800D.

From my understanding, the problem comes from the USB and audio connectors sharing the same ground.

I plan my work-around by buying a keyboard that has audio-extensions.

Back