Strange Imac 20" question

Honzo

n00b
Kind of a strange question, but I'm looking to replace my room TV with an iMac and a TV capture device and I'd like to know the dimentions of the 20" iMac if anyone has one. I've searched apple and they have no diagrams. I need the height and width of the actual LCD, the height and width of the whole computer (not with the stand or anything, just the part that frames the LCD), the distance from the top of the frame the LCD is, and the distance from the left or right side of the frame the LCD is. Depth is unimportant. Thanks for any responses.

You don't need the physical dimensions of the LCD alone. If your room TV is a CRT, the viewable diagonal size is usually about one or two inches shy of what the manufacturer claims. If it's an LCD, its viewable diagonal space is exactly what the manufacturer claims. LCD TVs typically have a wider aspect ratio than computer displays (16:9 versus 16:10) but that's about it.

And why would you want the dimensions of the computer without the stand? The stand isn't removable on the current models, so you must factor it in if space is tight. Apple's tech specs should cover the rest. The one thing it doesn't address is the gap between the bottom of the computer and the stand; it's about 3-4 inches.

Quite frankly, if space is so tight that you're worried about whether or not the LCD will be blocked by something else, you either need more free space or a 17" model.

Yep, the foot is only replaceable with the VESA mount on the first iMac G5. Apple sells it for $30.

Space isn't tight, i just want to make a cardboard cutout to compare it to my current tv. The stand just adds height, so i don't need it's diamension. I have a 4:3 tv so i need its dimensions to make my decision on whether or not to replace my tv with it. I don't NEED the whole boxes dimensions, it'd help though. And please only post if you can fill my request, as I can't really explain why i just need those dimensions.

btw, apples tech specs only show the boxes dimensions, not the actual lcd's.

OK, my iMac G5, 1.8Gb. LCD is 17" wide, 11" high, and of course, 20" diagonally. All measurements are aprox. but I believe them to be within .125". Hope this helps.

Orc

Thank you very much sir, I actually stressed for an hour trying to use the 20 inch diagonal measurement with pythagrion therom and the 16:9 aspect ratio to figure it out myself, and just could not figure out how big it was, and i about stabbed my ibook :p. thanks again!

Back