Strange headphone mod...

hound

2[H]4U
So I recently spent a good amout of money of one of those newfangled iPod things, and I am determined to use it as much as possible. There is one problem--I am constantly taking the ear-bud headphones in and out of my ears, and this is getting annoying. Now, before anyone starts bashing the ear buds, I have way too many piercings in my ears to use anything else, so it's all I've got. What I want to do is find some way of rewireing the headphone with a quick disconnect on each line (left and right), so I can run the wires through the holes in my lobes. That way, the headphones are always dangling nearby, and not slipping everywhere when I take them out. The holes in my lobes are currently at 6, which is the same sixe in fishing wire and needles. So, any suggestions on how to re-do headphones with some little quick disconnects?

6 Ga is realy small to try to put a wire conector though 0.162 inches.

The only thing I could think of is a small gauge Banana pin conection.

I have seen some that are quite small. You might be able to find them at a radio shack or a car audio outfit.

But a strange request none the less

Very strange... you could implant the speakers into your ear if you want :) j/k
The wire would go through I would imagine, but I cannot think of anyway to get a 3 pin connection through such a small hole.

do you mean 16 gauge?

because i've got 10 gauge nipple rings now, which are much thicker than the 14 gauge rings i started out with.

BoySetsFire said:
do you mean 16 gauge?

because i've got 10 gauge nipple rings now, which are much thicker than the 14 gauge rings i started out with.

No, 6, which is bigger than 14 or 10. Meanwhile, I also have nipple rings, but at 14. 10 is quite impressive for that area.

Dunno how your piercing is setup but I've got a pair of over-the-ear headphones that I modded (Err, bent, is more like it) into something that can still be used...

On my right ear I have an industrial in two lobes, that part was easily solved, I just didn't bother looping the headphone over my ear, it just squeezes it from the side.

rightside.jpg

Left ear was more tricky, since I've got actual rings in the cartilage, two at the rear and one where my Daith turns into my Helix, so what I did was, I bent the phone part where it joins the holder thingie, and twisted it so that it squeezes my ear at the bottom of the ear and more-or-less hangs in place.

leftside.jpg

Works perfect, and they also keep my piercings nice and toasty when I'm walking in this god-forsaken cold :) 'Cause we all know how aweful having a freezing piece of metal through your body is...

Hope you can come up with something.

Although this does sound a bit out-of-the-ordinary, I don't think that it's impossible, I'll have to think this one over...

DarkMonkey-
That's pretty nice, but I'm in the process of getting some new piercings, and the pressure from the headphones is too much for the fresh holes. But it's worth thinking about for the future. I like your holes, I've got and industrial in my left ear, two bars in the cartilage of my right (with more on the way), and then the lobes (will probably get those pierced again at some point). And as for the cold, it hurts so bad! I've tried ear muffs, but they hurt too, so I just tie a scarf over my head.

Thansk to anyone who can comment, I might size up to 4's soon as well.

Are your piercings such that you can't use an over-the-ear earbud?

Several people with unusually shaped eardrums who had trouble keeping earbuds in their ears have successfully tried this. The "earhugger" mod for top of the line etymotic canalphones has been done several times.

Like this:
earhugpho6.jpg

Molex 'em. In fact, you should expand your 6ga hole to fit a molex...You'd be the only one, I'll bet.

:D

In all seriousness, I bet you could sell a design such as this (if you can make one that fits well and is comfortable) and other metal-clad folks might buy em up.

Over-ear units might work, but I'm also trying to make pulling the buds out my ears and putting them in again easier. It'd be nice to always have them hanging there.

hound said:
Over-ear units might work, but I'm also trying to make pulling the buds out my ears and putting them in again easier. It'd be nice to always have them hanging there.

Combine a pair of the earhugger-type molds with some soldered inline miniplug connectors from Mouser/Digitech/partsexpress/etc, and you're set to go. Connecting it to your earlobe sounds incredibly stupid - one unexpected yank at your MP3 player = pain + further mutilation.

Squalish said:
Combine a pair of the earhugger-type molds with some soldered inline miniplug connectors from Mouser/Digitech/partsexpress/etc, and you're set to go. Connecting it to your earlobe sounds incredibly stupid - one unexpected yank at your MP3 player = pain + further mutilation.

Shouldn't rip them out, the ear lobes can be surprisingly tough. But I will look into the inline mini-plug connectrs, thanks.

So how weird will it be when I go to Radio Shack tomorrow and start holding jacks up to my ears to check the size? This is like when I go to Petsmart to try on the dog collars.

simple: get a Cold Heat soldering iron, cut the wires, thread them through your earlobes, then solder them back together. when you are ready to take them out, de-solder, remove, resolder. lather, rinse, repeat.

I think you should pierce your ears with a male to male stereo jack. You will get points for originality.

Then when you want to listen to music, you plug a male->female stereo cord into the back of your ears and plug a short female->earbud connection into the front, and put them in your ears.

Piercing with headphone plugs doesn't work, I got drunk one time and tried :p guitar strings get the job done though if you're persisent/drunk enough. :)

Edit: I just had an idea... I read an article about a guy who had a special glasses piercing... It was like he had a custom barbell made for his bridge piercing with two magnetic parts on it, and he had a custom pair of glasses that attached to them, perhaps you could do the same thing with magnets in CBRs and headphones or something?

do you like CBRs?
If so, why don't you just wear a 6g CBR and loop the phone through it? Much easier, less hassle... although i know a 6g CBR would be damn near impossible to pop the ball out of easily...

bodyartforms.com has some acrylic ones, if the hole is healed alright...

i'm movin' on up to 6g tomorrow... i bought some 6g flesh tunnels, but they look like they're 4g :(

BoySetsFire said:
do you mean 16 gauge?

ROFL, this is the LAST thing i'd ever expect to read in a case modding forum.. i mean W T F

Techx said:
ROFL, this is the LAST thing i'd ever expect to read in a case modding forum.. i mean W T F

Hey man, you got to figure that case modders would be into modding other things...like their flesh...

mashie said:
You need two more piercings in your ears, but this time put rings in them. Then just let the earphone wires go through them.

Edit: This would work as well :D

Yeah, but the problem is getting the wire out of the rings when I'm not wearing them. And I have tubes. Besides, wouldn't it just be damn cool to have wires going through your ears? :D

a CBR is the most practical way, i think... 6g isn't really big enough for anything..

maybe if/when you get up to a 2g... the eyelets from BAF are just about big enough for that...

... or you could just loop the headphone OVER your ear... hm.

http://www.!!!!!!!.com/news/pubring/20041214.html

Not sure how much help it'll be, but there's the arcticle I was talking about, maybe you can find more info in there about "Utility" piercings.

edit, I guess it's filtering it out for some reason, but it was on bme if you know the URL for it.

Have you thought of canalphones? Some Shures or Etymotics might do ya. Ask in the Computer Audio forum as well maybe?

hound said:
And I have tubes. Besides, wouldn't it just be damn cool to have wires going through your ears? :D

Well, why didn't you say so in the first place? Here I was concerned that it was so much easier to do it some other way, when I didn't realize that the goal was to do it through your ears.

Get two panel-mount (these are threaded + a nut secures them to a hole in a flat surface) 2.5mm mono jacks, solder the tabs to your earbud cords a few inches down (or... well... it's gonna be a bit painful, but I guess that's the only way. Have a friend do it and use eutectic solder, you do NOT want to have to do this over). Solder the headphone cord to two male 2.5mm plugs.

Presto, you now plug your MP3 player into your earlobes, and you plug the earbuds connected to them into your ears.

Sprinkle liberally with quick-disconnect plugs for safety, btw.

Back