Strange graphical issue

malquai

n00b
About a week or so after I installed Windows 7 I started getting very strange problems with my PC, i chalked it up to driver issues and reformatted and the problem went away for a while. However over the past day or so it has come back, even with going back to Vista the problem remains. I'm kind of at an end to what could be wrong.

My specs are:
Q6600, stock
4GB DDR2 1066
Asus P5E
GTX 280
750w OCZ GameXstream

Basically, my issue is, the PC is completely stable unless I start trying to do anything with my GPU which makes me think its either the PSU or the GPU, but I don't really know why it is sporadic like this. The PC completely freezes and I get terrible graphics corruption, I took a picture with my camera, http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1535/img00005200911130814.jpg so like I said I really don't know what to think, I've cleaned the case and reseated, and memtested my ram which was perfectly fine.

Any suggestions? and thanks for any input.

looks a bit like video ram is taking a dump... have another video card you can check it out with?

I put an older 8800GTS in, and its perfectly fine now. I'm still a little worried, because like I said before, it disappeared before, but came roaring back.

But after the same issue going on for about 6 restarts this morning after trying to game, its completely gone after testing a few times.

I doubt if it's related but I had something extremely similar with a 6800GS, it turned out to be a heat issue due to dust build up (just had to take off the GPU cover to sort it out). Have you looked at your temps?

yeah, temps were okay according to evga precision, idled at about 50, peaked at about 74.

It was a long shot, I guess you need to put it in a different system to test it, pointless chasing drivers, etc if it's borked hardware.

yeah... been stress testing a few different things and the 8800 seems fine so far. If i had a system to test the 280 i would, but all of my friends think PC gaming fails in comparison to their xboxs.. heh.

I guess ill call up evga, and see what i can do about getting it replaced.

Back