Strange File Sharing Issue (XP)

jaireth

n00b
I have two Windows XP machines and I'm sharing some mp3's on one of the machines (Machine A). On the second machine (Machine B) I am reading those mp3's. But for some reason on Machine B certain files and directories are missing. If a directory is not being listed on Machine B, I can type in the path and it will navigate there, but some of the files are missing. If I rename the files "sometimes" they show up again... for example:

The directory "G:\chevelle" does not show up in the "\\MachineA\G$" folder. but I can manually navigate to "\\MachineA\G$\chevelle". When I do it gives me this listing:

[DIR] Wonder Whats Next

I go into "Wonder Whats Next" and the following is displayed:

03 - Send the Pain Below.mp3
04 - closure-pms.mp3
05 - The Red.mp3
06 - Wonder Whats Next.mp3
07 - Dont Fake This.mp3
08 - Forfeit.mp3
09 - Grab Thy Hand.mp3
10 - An Evening With El Diablo.mp3
11 - One Lonely Visitor.mp3

Even though the first two songs exist on MachineA, they do not list on MachineB.

Now if I rename the file: "01 - Family System.mp3" to "a01 - Family System.mp3" I get this listing:

04 - closure-pms.mp3
05 - The Red.mp3
06 - Wonder Whats Next.mp3
07 - Dont Fake This.mp3
08 - Forfeit.mp3
09 - Grab Thy Hand.mp3
10 - An Evening With El Diablo.mp3
11 - One Lonely Visitor.mp3
a01 - Family System.mp3

It seems as if it's not showing the first two files in each directory... I've search online but haven't found any similiar problems anywhere. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

Update: well, it's still hapening... 70% of the time if I have a list of files the first two files in a directory are hidden... if I copy four files named "0", "00","000","0000" into the directory, those files disapear and I can see the files that are there... I have Windows XP SP2.

Sounds like the drive is not shared, but the underlieing folders are.

As to why certain files are not being seen... ?

Back