Strange error with Dell Latitude

DVAmon

2[H]4U
Well, It's not really a problem as much as just a strange occurrence.

I was installing some SDRAM sodimms in a latitude cpt..I got some from ebay which was advertised as pc100 sodimm. I got one that was bga and one non-bga package.

I install both pieces, and I get an error: Memory size has changed, EDO memory detected in DIMM0 near cardbus slot. Press F1 to continue.

I then install each one individually and they both work separately. I then install the non-bga packaged ram with a 128MB pulled from this system together, and it gives the same error.

I figure this ram is not meant to be paired without a similar packaged chip. I know for a fact this board is max 512mb SDRAM.

Anyone else seen this configuration error occur before? :confused:

that seems a normal error message when you install additional RAM on Dell's. Just go to the BIOS ... save it ... then reboot ...

The ram not playing nice is probably your problem. While it shouldn't matter it looks like in you case it does. If you don't mind the error and it lists the memory for the correct amount. Run Memtest86 if it passes just ignore it.

Well, I'd run memtest to see if it passes, but it'd be futile because the machine won't boot with it and another populated bank.

I've tried it with 1x256, 1x128, 1x64. Same error, EDO detected press F1 to shutdown.

I'm running it fine with the other stick of 256MB and the stock 128MB.

But what would cause the dell to detect SDRAM as EDO?

Back