Strange Crossfire Stutter

Einzige

Weaksauce
With crossfire enabled after about 10-20min of playing a completely disabling stutter begins. My FPS remains the same but there is an audio/visual stutter that seems to pulse ever 1-2 seconds.

Alt-tabbing out of game for several minutes then going back in seems to reset this process. Thereafter it requires another 10-20min.

Temperature is not the issue.

I've tried googling this type of stutter to no avail everyone else's symptoms are different. I have tried removing my drivers with DDU and reinstalling drivers. I have tried removing my overclock on my CPU to no avail.

I haven't seen exactly what you are saying, but I had some odd Crossfire issues with Assassin's Creed Brotherhood recently. There would be visual stutter, even though FPS counter was well over 60fps.

What fixed it for me was: enabling VSync in game options. Setting game profile (in Crimson) Crossfire mode to 1x1 Optimize. Then setting an FPS limit in RivaTuner to 62 fps.

Update:

The stutter is now occurring with crossfire turned off. It takes longer to kick in but then it starts until I alt-tab out. Waiting a few minutes makes it go away when alt-tabbed.

Update: trying to roll back drivers.

Removing overclock on CPU doesn't help. Reseating ram and checking all power plug-ins doesn't help. Turning off crossfire doesn't help.

I recently moved my system in to a new case and it started then. I'm hoping nothing is damaged but everything works normal until about ten minutes of constant gameplay.

Update: Rolled back drivers and still get strange and extreme stutter after ten minutes. Playing through the stutter as opposed to alt-tabbing made it disappear after a while, then gameplay resumed as normal but I suspect it would return at some point. After stutter ended I had about 7-8 minutes of gameplay in a titanfall 2 match.

Am going to try resetting graphics cards. Going to switch their position as well and use the other as my main.

hmm
AMD drivers are still somewhat finicky..

Try this:

shut down
take one card out
uninstall using DDU or some other removal tool
shut down

if you have onboard video, boot with that first into safe mode
run the tool again to clean AGAIN

shut down
install one card
wait for windows to recognize it

install new drivers

shut down

test using ONE card only for stuttering

if good -

install 2nd card

boot to windows

test!

Also, make sure everything is seated correctly (obv), double check PSU cabling and fan operation on video cards.

Funny you mentioned fan operation on video cards.

I think I've discovered the problem. The fans on the GPU I was using as my main card are behaving oddly. Usually all three fans spin equally fast at the same time but this one has a tendency for fans to shut off. I have taken the heatsink off this card before so I think maybe the fans aren't plugged in properly and maybe that is causing some throttling and thus the stutter.

This being my main card, when I shut off crossfire this card would be being used.

However the stutter seems to occur once for a few minutes and if I play through it it stops. After that I have quite a long time of gameplay without any stuttering.

I think I have to open up this card and check everything.

I have a pair of rx480's and have never seen that. Nor have I had stutter at all with these cards. I have not played TItanfall however.

I think I may have discovered the issue.

Crossfire gets the stutter.
When using one card I get the stutter.
When using the other I have yet to get stutter.

Any ideas on how to go about fixing this issue?

Update:

The one card that is causing the stutter has fan issues. Normally all three fans spin at the same speed at the same time, however sometimes only some of the fans are on at a time. Also the fans on this card shut off in regular intervals while the other card keeps a consistent spin.

I have taken the cooler off to inspect the fan's connection and it's as solid as it can be. I've reapplied thermal paste and firmly screwed the cooler in.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Keep in mind I keep a consistent crossfire framerate--the stutter is visual/audio without any loss of framerate.

Audio/Video on Firefox is now stuttering.

Is my card screwed or is there something I can do?

Sounds like you need to RMA the card that has the broken fan. Or purchase a 3rd party cooler for it.

He took the heatsink off. Sounds like he caused his own issue. Why'd you take the heatsink off? To apply "better" thermal paste? To see what it looked like? To trade to an aftermarket cooler? Sounds like it didn't work out.
Take your lumps and buy a new card.

I'd hate owning an electronics company these days. I'd bet most of the issues that generate RMAs are caused by users and not product.

He took the heatsink off. Sounds like he caused his own issue. Why'd you take the heatsink off? To apply "better" thermal paste? To see what it looked like? To trade to an aftermarket cooler? Sounds like it didn't work out.
Take your lumps and buy a new card.

I'd hate owning an electronics company these days. I'd bet most of the issues that generate RMAs are caused by users and not product.

Because I was trying to make it fit in my case. I couldn't use the bottom pcie slot because it was too close to the psu so I tried to remove the backplate to make it slightly thinner. The cooler detached too far so I removed it to apply new thermal paste before putting it back on. I can't fathom what I did wrong I was very careful and covered all my bases.

Also the passive aggressiveness is ridiculously unwarranted.

Back