Strange crashes with XP Home SP2

G66

Limp Gawd
Wierdist crashes I've ever had, the cursor is fine then suddenly it lock in place when I move up it leaps about a few inches upward, when I move side to side it is smoothlike normal but I can't move it diagonaly any way then just to cap off my fustration XP restarts to a black screen.

Windows I hate you!

Any one know what causing this?

Have you tried another mouse in case yours is faulty and overloading the USB connection?

If you are overclocked, try declocking.
If you arent overclocked, try setting the FSB a bit lower to see if it helps then let us know the results.

seams the graphics card was at fault. I took it out its fine, but i'm sure its not faulty because it worked fine before the pc caught a virus and was then formatted. Since then its been crashing even after the HDD was formatted... I'm positive the virus has something to do with this. I will try reformatting, then reinstalling the GPU.

Reinstalled the Gpu No wierd mouse crashes now but it still occasionally restarts

Dying batteries on wireless mouse can also cause erratic behaviors of your cursor and causes Windows to freeze alot too.

Happens quite frequently around this office where all employees use laptops and wireless mice (they work in and out of office, hence the laptops)

Could be resource conflicts, but I wouldn't think XP should have problems with that anymore.

I haven't got a wireless mouse plugged in... I checked the temps and my CPU is at 56 degrees. Bit high isn't it... but its always been that way... never had any problems before...

if you're repeatedly formatting and reinstalling Windows and experiencing the same problems as before, I would do two things first..

1. download memtest86.iso and burn it on cd and boot your computer with it. Check and see if your RAMs are bad or not. Writing on bad RAM sector can cause erratic behavior, including reboots, lockups and BSODs.

2. check your power supply. It's one of the most overlooked hardware in anyone's computer. If it's weak, get a stronger one. If it's old, just get a new one. Beware of "cheap" power supplies. They die very quickly, or doesn't deliver enough juice to your computer. Imagine this scenario:

Your computer boots up fine. When you ask it to do something demanding, like play a game, or fire up a 1000 page Word doc, you're asking your processor or graphics card to draw more power from your power supply so it can do its work more efficiently. Your power supply simply doesn't have what it needs, so one hardware chokes, and your computer powers down.

I don't know what the procedure is for checking your power supply. Personally, with 6 computers in the house, I swap them out and see how the computer behaves with another power supply. If it stops crashing, then I know it was the culprit.

Just bought a new 400 watt PSU its a SUMVISION PowerX whatever that is... Its dead quiet. I still get crashes though! the CPU is 68 on full load! ahhh I check the bios and it shutsdown the pc at 90 degrees...

Your temps are pretty bad. They should not be anywhere near that high. I suspect your problem is related to this. Have you stress-tested the system for 24 hours with Orthos yet?

Back