Strange CPU temp, even under BIOS

fiberoptik

Limp Gawd
So I left my sytem on overnight and when I woke up MBM reported a cpu temp of -33c. I though it was possibley a MBM bug so I rebooted into bios, K8n Neo4 Plat SLI, and checked under pc health and bios reported the chip at 222c It also locked up the bios. Anyone have any ideas? The temp sensor is internal on the AMD64 chips, is my chip damaged? Or, is it the mobo? Virus maybe?

Sys Specs:
MSI K8n Neo4 Plat SLI
AMD64 2.5ghz
(Cooler Master Hyper 6 Heatsink)
512mb x2 PQI Turbo
Evga Geforce 6800 GT

maybe that Hyper6 is doing better of a job then you though :D. id say its probably just a temp bug, and theres nothing to worry about.

I dont thinks its a bug as I havent updated my system in anyway other then installing the heatsink. It must be a hardware failure. Like I said it even locks up Bios. Is that something I can fix or is it RMA time?

Wow your post is like deja vu.

I just built two opteron systems at work, using Tyan S2850 boards. Went into BIOS setup when they first came up, looked at the CPU temps, they were in the 50C range. So like we do with all our new systems, got the latest BIOS update from Tyan. Loaded it up. Everything works fine, but now the BIOS CPU temps are 212 degrees C! Loaded up MBM5, but it doesn't directly support these mobos, and I couldn't find anything correct to monitor when tinkering manually.

We decided not to flash back to an older rev....we'll just wait for a newer rev where hopefully it's fixed, if that is the problem.

We were thinking some bug got into the CMOS too, maybe on the boot floppy we used for the flash.

Has anyone heard of a bug like this going around? SARC doesn't say anything about it.

Rookie:
I didnt even update the bios, just left it on overnight. I did try to reflash but no luck. To top it off, when I try to check my temps under bios it locks up.. Must be some type of cmos virus. I still need to try a hard cmos dump by removing the battery and see if that helps, most likely not. Ill also try flashing back to an older bios and see if that helps.. Ill keep you posted.

How about try clearing the BIOS using the jumper switch and see if that helps. It may, it may not. Just one more thing to try.

Back