Strange Cisco WIC Problem

mpatc

n00b
I am having a strange problem with a pair of WIC-1ENETs and am wondering if anyone has seen this before.

I recently purchased two WIC-1ENETs for use in my 1720. The 1720 had in it up to that point, a T1 WIC and the blank slot cover. Removing both the T1 and the blank went as expected but when I insert the 1ENETs they do not go in all the way. They each stop ~1/16" from being fully seated. The two screws that hold the WICs in also do not line up with the retention nuts on the backplate. When the router is booted, neither WIC was recognized (that I could tell). After much head scratching I decided to open the box and take a closer look. Using the T1 card as a reference, it can be clearly seen that the 1ENETs do not go in as far as the T1. I checked for bent pins but found nothing. After removing more parts, I was able to get the interface light on one of the 1ENETs to light but the "WIC OK" light on the backplane does not come on. A "show interfaces" will give me the stats on FastEthernet0 and Serial0 but will not show anything about the 1ENETs if one or both of them are installed. When both 1ENETs are installed and cables hooked between my switch and the built in 10/100 and two 1ENETs I receive a "%Software-forced reload" error when the router tries to boot. Removing the cables from the 1ENETs and it will boot fine, but still not recognize the 1ENETs.

My 1720 was made in 2003 (towards the end of 1720 production I think) and the 1ENET cards show a copyright on the board of 2000. I am running 12.2(7c) which should be able to recognize 1ENETs in both slots, 12.2(2)XJ being the minimum IOS to use 2 1ENETs.

So, has anyone ever heard of this before? I don't have a lot of Cisco experience before but I have never heard or seen anything like this. Any suggestions? Anything worth trying? I don't have a SmartNet on this (all second hand parts) so calling Cisco will most likely not get me very far.

Thanks,

If the part number on the cards are WIC-1ENET or WIC-1ENET= then they should fit...

I would call cisco, they are not heartless and should confirm that the part number fits the router, but as said above... if that's the part number it *should* fit.

mpatc said:
I don't have a SmartNet on this (all second hand parts) so calling Cisco will most likely not get me very far.

Thanks,

How confident are you that the parts are legit? There is a fairly large counterfeit market for Cisco parts.

I am fairly confident that the parts are genuine Cisco. They came in a Cisco box with Cisco stickers on the box and static bag. A brief full color manual was included. In short, from looking at the cards and packaging, someone would have had to go through a lot of effort to make them look that good. The seller I purchased them from, immediately sent my two more cards to try at his expense and is offering a full refund if I cannot make it work. I would not expect this level of service from someone who what peddling junk.

The on thing I have noticed is that the connector on the WIC is slightly different from my working T1 card. It is soldered a little differently and has an ever so slightly different shape at the 'nose', it is a little more rounded than the T1 card. I am wondering if the connector slipped down on the board while being soldered and that has something to do with it. At any rate, a strange problem.

I will try to give Cisco a call and see what they can tell me. After all, I am trying to learn their products to use them.

Back