Strange chirping noise

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Sounds like there's a cricket in my case. I've put my ear up to all sides. I opened the case and tried to pinpoint the source, but I can't figure out what's causing it. It's steady and constant. I ramped up all the case fans and the heatsink fan, and it didn't change, so I'm assuming they're ruled out. That leaves the GTX 260 fan and the Corsair HX620 fan, or something else entirely. It sounds somewhat like hard drive noise, but I'm just not sure what the hell it is. It's like a rusty wagon wheel or valve that "chirps" on every revolution.

Antec Nine Hundred Two
Asus P5Q-Pro
E8400 @ 3.6
Corsair HX620
2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 DHX
WD6401AALS
WD1001FALS
2x WD6400AAKS
LG GGC-H20L (BD + HD-DVD combo)

So.... Anyone ever experience chirping case?

Have you ran HD tune to test the hard drives?

Actually unplug your 1tb and see if it goes away ;)
I have a 1tb green that makes some noise

It's showing an Ultra DMA CRC Error Count (2) warning for one of the WD6400AAKS drives. The detailed description says it could be a damaged cable. I ran the Error Scan (quick) and it found nothing. Going to do the full scan now.

Could it be anything else? I've had no issues reading and writing to any HDDs.

Scan is still going, but I think I'm going to drop my overclock and swap cables tomorrow.

Highly doubt the CRC error would make a disk chirp though.

WD's Data Lifeguard found nothing after quick tests. Maybe an HD Tune misinterpretation?

Get a tube, like from a roll of paper towels, or an extension tube for the vacuum cleaner. Put one end to your ear and move the other end to the various components until you find the sound.

Could be your power supply fan. My unit from PCP&C did the exact same thing. A distinct and constant chirping noise that drove me mad and stopped when I shoved a pencil into the fan to stop it. PCP&C ended up taking the unit back to replace the failing fan.

Wow. Just saw the FAQ. An RMA just for a new fan? I have to pay more in shipping than the fan is worth, and have a useless computer for weeks?

Here's EVGA's response to my support question:

In order to get the fan fix the whole card would need to be replaced. In order to get a replacement part to you we will first need you to upload a copy of your invoice to you member profile at EVGA.com

After that is uploaded if you go under "view / edit my products" of your EVGA.com member profile, and click the view details button. After the page refreshes, you will see a new button, start a new RMA. The first page will ask you to confirm your shipping address. The second page will ask you for your problem information as well as the EVGA Support ticket number.

After that you will receive a option to rush the shipping back to you. We include UPS ground for free.

Ah, well I know when I got my GTX 260 I did all that jazz just in case I ran into any issues later.. If you RMA it let us know how it goes.. I bought my card from them because they seemed to have a good reputation, so hopefully they'll take care of you without much problem.

I probably will if I can find out for sure if it'll be a new card and not refurbished. :D

Since I'm getting a refurbished card back, I'm not sure I'm willing to play the lottery. If they send me something worse, do I have the right to bitch?

Since I'm getting a refurbished card back, I'm not sure I'm willing to play the lottery. If they send me something worse, do I have the right to bitch?

Well, maybe the refurbished one will be a card that had the same issue, and they just replaced the fan. :)

Because paying for shipping to get a tested-working video card is cheaper. And if it's not as good as what I'm already using, I bitch until they agree to send something else and pay to ship the shitty card back.

At least that's the plan.

Eh. I got my replacement yesterday. Same model #, but it must've been manufactured before the 192-shader models started shipping with 216. And late last night my computer froze. No BSOD. Just everything on my monitors suddenly froze in place. Mouse cursor didn't move. Keyboard was useless.

Then late tonight Windows 7 has started to revert to non-Aero mode for several minutes, and go back. I just finished watching Pioneer One, closed it, and Aero mode still hasn't kicked back in.

I re-ran the Windows Experience Index (video playback error), and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers, but haven't rebooted yet. Hopefully tomorrow these issues are gone.

Back