Strange audio problem.

Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
47
This past weekend I finally got around to running my PC into my home theater, but have run into quite a strange problem.

First, my set up. I have my PC connected via DVI to a 22 inch monitor and via VGA to my 40 inch Sony LCD. I've also run the video out of my PC(9800gx2) via HDMI to the receiver, but had the same problem. I've run the audio out of PC through the SPDIF on the Auzentech Prelude to my Pioneer 1018 receiver.

There is a good deal of static and popping in the audio, but the strange thing is it only occurs when I am running video to the TV. If I only display my PC on my 22” monitor and run the audio to the receiver everything works fine. As soon as I set my PC to output on the TV the popping starts.

I'm kind of a loss for why this might be happening.
 
Sorry to revive a 3 week old thread for my first post but I'm having the exact same problem at americanbeast and it's driving me nuts!

The sound is nice and crisp when run through the digital coax to my receiver but once I throw the video over to my 47" from my 22" monitor, I start getting these crackling/popping noises. I'm using a Gigabyte EP-DS3L MB and have tried a Creative Audigy 2 as well as the onboard Realtek HD audio. I've used different drivers and have tried both XP and Vista. All scenarios produce the same results. I have a 9600GT and I've heard some people mention that nVidia drivers could be the source so I've tried a few different 'newer' drivers (all 178.xx or above). Still no luck getting rid of the problem.

Does anyone have any idea why this problem only exists when running video via DVI/HDMI to a large LCD? After process of elimination, it almost sounds like it has to be the video drivers, no? I've pretty much eliminated everything else through troubleshooting but I wanted to get as many opinions as I could.

Justin
 
Hasn't anyone seen or heard anything like this before? Has anyone heard of issues with Gigabyte MBs and crackling audio? Anything at all would be appreciated.
 
Back
Top