Strange Audigy Issue

Pagan Wizard

2[H]4U
I have an older Audigy2 ZS Platinum with an internal Live drive. The problem I am having (following a fresh install of XP Pro on a new HDD) is that the sound card will not play "Exit Windows" and "Start Windows" wav files, but it will play everything else. I have gone into control panel to insure a wav file is selected for those events, yet nothing will play. I also used the AutoDetect feature on Creative's site to update to the latest drivers, and even that had no effect on the problem. Any suggestions??

Seems like your windows sound events are messed up, try changing your default desktop teme to classic or something, hit apply, then revert to windows xp default theme and see if the start /exit sounds are correctly played.

No changes. Sounds work for all events, as well as movies, MP3's etc.......just not for windows start and exit. :confused: I'm thinking I might have to reformat and start from scratch.

Because the startup and shutdown sound wont play? Kinda funny :p Have you tried taking a look in C:\Windows\Media\ and seeing if you can play them via Winamp or something? They're named:

Windows XP Startup.wav
Windows XP Shutdown.wav

Download Filemon and filter everything except rundll32.exe, and monitor those two while you press "Play" in the sound properties control panel. See what errors you have. (or dont have)

Yes the wav files themselves will play in MP and in Winamp. I even tried changing to different wav files to see if that would fix the problem......no luck. I think the sound card drivers got corrupted somehow during instalation.

OK, this might sound weird. This morning I reformatted. as soon as I got into WinXP, I installed the MOBO drivers followed by the sound card drivers, everything was working fine at that point. Then I ran Auto Patcher for WinXP and the Windows Start and Exit wav's stopped playing at that time. I reformatted again, reinstalled everything again, this time just using the MS page to update Windows. Everything is still working perfectly. I do want to run Auto Patcher because it has a lot of very useful utilities. Does anyone out there know why Auto Patcher is blocking these two event wav files?? Like I said in an earlier post, it does not matter what wav file I use for these two events, they simply will not play once Auto Patcher has been installed.

I found a fix for this problem on a different forum, and wanted to share it with people here.

After installation of TweakUI, open the TweakuUI tool, by clicking [Start], All Programs, power toys for Win. XP, etc. With the TweakUI open, goto the -General- setting and then check the "Beep on errors". This should restore the startup and shutdown sounds. This worked for me.

Back