Strange Account in XP

Moto Guzzi

[H]ard|Gawd
Win XP-PRO

If I go to C:\Windows\Drivers and rightclick on this folder, then chose "Sharing and Security", I see a strance unknown Account under "Security". Does any body has similar account.....A face with question mark "Unknown Account...with code nect to it".

>Search in registry leads me to:"Protected Storage System Provider" Belonging to Group Membership...Group-0.

Google took me here:
Protected Storage System Provider key

What is this for ? It looks like it contains personal info about IE & Outlook ?
Is this security risk ?

Hmmmm, are you connected to a network? That could be a network account and it might not find the origin of it. (Where it's coming from) I had this happen to me once but it was because I knocked my network wire out of the port.

For now, deny all access to the account. Check for virus's, adware, spyware, etc. Also put a firewall up. See if you can delete it in computer managment. If you don't know how to do that let me (or us) know and I'll walk you through it.

BTW, is this on the C drive? Or a drive with all your data on it? I;ve never seen an account like this.

Moto Guzzi said:
Win XP-PRO

If I go to C:\Windows\Drivers and rightclick on this folder, then chose "Sharing and Security", I see a strance unknown Account under "Security". Does any body has similar account.....A face with question mark "Unknown Account...with code nect to it".

>Search in registry leads me to:"Protected Storage System Provider" Belonging to Group Membership...Group-0.

Google took me here:
Protected Storage System Provider key

What is this for ? It looks like it contains personal info about IE & Outlook ?
Is this security risk ?

you sure its c:\windows\drivers, because the REAL drivers folder is in c:\windows\system32\drivers.

It is indeed C:\Windows\Drivers,....It is not C:\Windows\System32\Drivers..

This Company is involved: 2002 OrangeWare Corporation..

>C:\Windows\Drivers\ousb2......With 3x files in it.
>ousub2.inf
>ousub2hub.sys
>ousbechi.sys
>The .inf file refers to "Orangeware Corporation.
>I can remember sawing this account originally after I got the computer 3 years back, but completely forgot about it, and seeing that it only appears with this directory, I missed it in the mean time, until the other day I was looking for something else.

>It looks like it has something to do with USB..

>Follow this link:
http://www.orangeware.com/

This does not ring a bell with me at all. I have Norton AV + Firewall 2004 + Adaware + Spybot. Before I delete it + the directory, I just want to make sure the significance of it, because the registry leaad me to someting else.

>Futher down .inf file it refers to Gigabyte and I have a Gigabyte MB. I just denied the account access to all.......Maybe I must rename the directory and reboot...To see if anythig is missing..

Back