Strange 360 DVD Issue

mikesroth

n00b
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
21
I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to my HD connections on my TV. When I play games, there is no problems. But when I try to watch a movie, it randomly has video issues. Kinda like when you have a scratch on a DVD. When I reconnect the 360, to the 'regular' connections, it plays ok. Any idea about what could be wrong?

Thanks!
 
Funny you mentioned that. I was watching Silent Hill last night (fresh new buy, no scratches, basically virgin DVD) after an hour it started skipping like it was actually scratched as you mentioned. My 360 also playes games perfectly without any issues, and it was the first DVD that started doing that crap. I just hope it's not a sign of our DVD drives giving away. Any ideas people?
 
DVDs skipping slightly after about three hours of playing used to happen on my original Xbox all the time. My 360 hasn't had any issues, however. On my original Xbox, I would just power it down for 5 minutes and it would be good for another three or so hours.
 
I have actually found my 360 to be very forgiving when it comes to playing less than perfect discs. A couple times I have had discs that refused to play in my Panasonic DVD-S97s that played fine in the 360 (although at a noticeable loss of quality).

It's good to have a backup system I suppose, I had to used my PS2 as a DVD player for a while in the past when my Yamaha DVD-C920 broke, and overall I find the PS2 gives a better picture than the 360 when it comes to DVD video, but I prefer the convenience of the remote that the 360 has (I managed to lose the IR receiver for my PS2 DVD remote a while ago).
 
NulloModo said:
It's good to have a backup system I suppose, I had to used my PS2 as a DVD player for a while in the past when my Yamaha DVD-C920 broke, and overall I find the PS2 gives a better picture than the 360 when it comes to DVD video, but I prefer the convenience of the remote that the 360 has (I managed to lose the IR receiver for my PS2 DVD remote a while ago).
Wow are you serious? When I put Silent Hill to my PS2 right from 360 it looked like crap. Smaller picture, darker colors, but then again 360 is hooked up via HD components cable where PS2 is not.
 
I have actually noticed a sizable quality difference between PS2 and Xbox 360 DVD video when hooked up through regular composite cables, with Xbox 360 being noticeably better IMO...
 
mikesroth said:
I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to my HD connections on my TV. When I play games, there is no problems. But when I try to watch a movie, it randomly has video issues. Kinda like when you have a scratch on a DVD. When I reconnect the 360, to the 'regular' connections, it plays ok. Any idea about what could be wrong?

Thanks!

does this issue occur on the launch date models 11/05 to early 06 or is this happening with the more recent batch?
 
I have a launch day unit and never experienced this problem. I do know what you guys mean about getting the skipping issue on the original xbox, as mine does that every now and then. As for DVD playback, I was actually pretty impressed with the X360. Picture quality was by far the best i've ever seen when playing back standard DVD's when compared to every other stand along DVD player i've experienced. In fact, only my Toshiba HD-A1 seems to do a better job thn the X360 for playing back standard DVD's.

I also have to agree that the X360 seems to be pretty forgiving when playing back messed up discs. There were movies that my old standalone player wouldn't play, that the X360 was able to play just fine.
 
I have to agree that the Xbox 360 does a better job at playing back DVDs than the PS2. The Xbox 360 plays back DVDs in 480p, while the PS2 and original Xbox could only play back DVDs in 480i. Not a big difference, but it helps.
 
dreamcast87 said:
does this issue occur on the launch date models 11/05 to early 06 or is this happening with the more recent batch?
I believe it to be a more recent versoin of the 360, as I just bought it back in June.

Again, it will play a DVD fine for a bit, then it starts to act up. It is similiar to what you'd see with a bad DvD, but instead of just locking up, it keeps on going. Just with those breaks where you can't see anything. I want to say that the sound is even fine. But when I take it off of being HD connections, and go to the regular ones, everything is ok.
 
same thing happened on my ps2. it was a sign of a failing drive. on a game disc it does not seek in one continous motion as it does with a movie.
i just got a new ps2 and all was well. then i got a real dvd player and was amazed at the quality difference. even with component connection, ps2 is not that good of a dvd player.
it could also be a sign of overheating. either way, its not a good sign.
 
Back
Top