Straight Talk vs AIO

ravx25

[H]ard|Gawd
I am switching my service to ST for a month to test it out and I found out the charge tax and a few other small fees to jack it up a few cents over $50. Does AIO do the same thing? I thought these were supposed to be a flat $45 for ST?

I am switching my service to ST for a month to test it out and I found out the charge tax and a few other small fees to jack it up a few cents over $50. Does AIO do the same thing? I thought these were supposed to be a flat $45 for ST?

I think it's $45 when you use the pre-paid cards. I'm not sure though I've never used ST.

Just switched to AIO and I absolutely love it. First taste of LTE is a wonderful experience. Coming from sprint, it's like going from dialup to fios. Flat $45 / month with autopay. Love it.

I am using StraightTalk on an unlocked iPhone (ATT) and couldn't be happier with the service. $45/month, no contract, unlimited minutes/texts/data.

Just switched to AIO and I absolutely love it. First taste of LTE is a wonderful experience. Coming from sprint, it's like going from dialup to fios. Flat $45 / month with autopay. Love it.

Only thing that bothers me about AIO is they limit you to 8mbps on LTE and 4mbps on HSPA+ which also introduces some lag to the ping.

Okay so I switched to ST.....but my mobile data and MMS doesn't work. Their little chart is useless. I found some settings out there to use but I still cannot connect with mobile data or MMS. I have an unlocked T989 S2 from Tmobile using an AT&T sim from ST, but it should work with the settings I found. I'm not liking this so far lol. What settings are some of you using for your APN on ST that works?

Edit: I got my mobile data working but MMS continues to elude me no matter what APN settings I put in. This is crazy.

Edit again: Well, it actually just started working today with the recommended settings for some odd reason. Maybe something just had to flow through their system.

I am still thinking about going with AIO though after this month since ST had taxes and fees added on pushing it slightly over $50. AIO, as I understand is all baked in at $50 flat and I read in places that AIO service is usually a little more stable/faster.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of switching from Virgin Mobile to aio Wireless. So if I autopay, I will get a $45 instead of $50? I'm still trying to decide which phone to get my wife and I. The Moto G looks great for the price, but the Nexus 5 looks tempting. I guess anything would be a big step up from an LG Optimus V.

I would go with the Nexus 5. It really is a nice phone and near future proof. I went with ST, and, admittedly, it's working out great, but I think I'm going to switch over to AIO though just to get the $5 savings a month for autopay. Let's be honest, we all switch to a MVNO to save money and frankly, AIO is closer to being AT&T than ST is. Plus ST lied to me about being $45 flat. They have taxes and fees taking it over $50.

I would go with the Nexus 5. It really is a nice phone and near future proof. I went with ST, and, admittedly, it's working out great, but I think I'm going to switch over to AIO though just to get the $5 savings a month for autopay. Let's be honest, we all switch to a MVNO to save money and frankly, AIO is closer to being AT&T than ST is. Plus ST lied to me about being $45 flat. They have taxes and fees taking it over $50.

ST comes out to $46.53/month for me. ST's unlimited data = 2.5GB/month... so in the end the plans are almost identical with auto-pay: $45/month for unlimited text/talk and 2.5GB/month.

Not sure about AIO being closer to ATT... as far as I know they both use identical networks. Edit: According to AIO's website my phone will only get 2G speeds on their network, while I'm currently getting 3G with StraightTalk (Handed-down iPhone 4.) The reality could be different. Anyone have experience with this phone on AIO's network?

ST comes out to $46.53/month for me. ST's unlimited data = 2.5GB/month... so in the end the plans are almost identical with auto-pay: $45/month for unlimited text/talk and 2.5GB/month.

Not sure about AIO being closer to ATT... as far as I know they both use identical networks. Edit: According to AIO's website my phone will only get 2G speeds on their network, while I'm currently getting 3G with StraightTalk (Handed-down iPhone 4.) The reality could be different. Anyone have experience with this phone on AIO's network?

How are you getting $46.53? You must be getting little to no tax and/or fees as well. Here's a screen of my first payment (tax is 8.25% here in Dallas)
ST.jpg

Aio is a subsidiary of AT&T actually, so it's straight up their network. I can't speak to speeds for different phones. From what I can tell you should be fine. After the allotted data you pay for they do throttle to 2G though.

Not every State has sales tax FYI

The fees alone trump his initial amount though, much less the tax. Why they wouldn't be taxed is interesting really. Every state has sales tax though so if ordering off the internet are they looking to see if they have a store front in that state of some kind.

The fees alone trump his initial amount though, much less the tax. Why they wouldn't be taxed is interesting really. Every state has sales tax though so if ordering off the internet are they looking to see if they have a store front in that state of some kind.

.90 + .68 + .08 + 45.0 = 46.66

Every state is different, so fees will be different

.90 + .68 + .08 + 45.0 = 46.66

Every state is different, so fees will be different

The bigger issue though is that Aio bakes their prices all into one. With auto-pay it's a flat $45 and nothing more. ST makes theirs out to be $45 too, but its not really.

AIO is the better choice. Great service and great customer service so far. Using a Note 2 on it from Sprint and it's my first time experiencing LTE... and just wow. It's like a night and day difference coming from Sprint's shitty service. Could not be happier.

How are you getting $46.53? You must be getting little to no tax and/or fees as well.

Subtotal $45.0
Discounts and Credits $0.0
Tax1 $0.0
911 Surcharge, CPUC PPP Program and User fees $0.765
Federal Universal Service3 $0.675
Regulatory Cost Recovery4 $0.09
Purchase Amount $46.53

Subtotal $45.0
Discounts and Credits $0.0
Tax1 $0.0
911 Surcharge, CPUC PPP Program and User fees $0.765
Federal Universal Service3 $0.675