Straight Talk/ Net10 Question

My ATT contract is up in November and I intend on switching to either Net10 or Straighttalk. I would like to eventually get a new phone but I'm wonder what carriers I'm limited to. Can I take a Verizon phone to Net10 or am I limited to ATT and Sprint phones?

I'm interested in the Lumia Icon or the 930 if it ever comes to the States.

Not too sure about net10, but I really wouldn't suggest going with straight talk. The service is decent enough for the price, but as soon as you have an issue (and I can guarantee that you eventually will), you'll want to rip the hair out of your head. The customer service is absolutely horrid.

If you want to stay on AT&T's LTE network, check out cricket. They just purchased Aio wireless and have nothing but good things to say about them. If you're setup for autopay, the Unlimited call/text plan with 2.5GB of data is 45 a month.

I'll have to look into that. Any thought on bringing a Verizon phone to one of these services?

I have net10 for my wifes phone. I do the $40 month plan and it works ok. It works with LTE, the only issue was the native android messaging app wouldn't work right with MMS, but after downloading Go SMS it works fine on that.

As far as taking your verizon phone, if it as a GSM radio in it then it will work. But I wouldn't recommend it because chances are the LTE won't work. Verizon and AT&T don't use the same LTE frequencies, they're not universal at the moment. So I think you might be better of selling your verizon phone and getting a unlocked t-mobile or at&t phone.

I'm not sure that you can bring most CDMA phone across carriers like that, unfortunately (or not very easily). I know that you can buy Straight talk/net10/cricket/etc phones that run on the Verizon/Sprints network, but trying to port them to another network (for example, from Verizon to Net10 or Sprint) can be tricky since the ESN has to be registered to the particular network you want it to run on. And flashing it to another network, yourself, is technically illegal for some dumb reason.

In contrast to GSM, where you just get a new sim card, and can bring it where ever you'd like as long as it's unlocked. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable with CDMA technology can elaborate more on it but last time I checked into it, it was a huge headache.

So since the 930 isn't being sold in the US currently. Would it be possible to buy one and have it unlocked?

As someone with StraightTalk (and loves it), don't bother trying to bring over the Verizon phone. Just sell it if you already have it and grab a AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile phone. I had a friend try with a Verizon phone and after three days finally gave up, yes...it's that much of a hassle. Bringing over my phone from T-Mobile and my wife's phone from Sprint was quite easy, took about 5 minutes per phone.

So since the 930 isn't being sold in the US currently. Would it be possible to buy one and have it unlocked?

Probably. The problem is making sure it's compatible with which ever network you wish to go with. AFAIK, that's a GSM phone... so you have to make sure that the 2G/3G/4G/LTE radios support AT&T's or Tmo's various bands.

if you have a verizon phone you might want to look at selectel and/or page plus, both of which resells verizon network. note however that any verizon mvno can only access vz 3g network. Vz has put that restriction in place, even for their own prepaid branch.

I currently own the Lumia 920 on ATT. I do not own the Verizon Lumia Icon, but I was looking into it for my next phone. The global version of the Icon is the 930 but as far as I can tell it won't be coming to the US. So I guess I'll just bring the ATT 920 over until something else comes out worth getting.

Back