Storm'd !

Awesome mod.

Not to hijack but you can buy mesh for 80mm and 120mm fans preformed in 4-5 colors for .99cents a grill

P1030720.jpg

wile they look clean as hell, there only like 35% air flow. wile standard crome grill is like 95%. The mesh also make the fan louder...

Hey I have some questions... on the 45 degree angle for the front frame. What made you route it to a 45 degree angle first, before drilling? And what is your technique for drilling the holes in a perfect straight line? Even when using a edge stop on my drill press I always get 1 or 2 screws that look a tad offline…

BTW: that looks great dude. By Buddie is doing a clear case project right now, ill email him this link so he can check it out

killabee is right guys! the grills stifle air flow smothing horrid!! i was amazed at how bad the air flow became..!!!
i suppose they are speaker grills ! ya just gotta wonder how much louder my speaker are with out that stuff :eek:

if you drill then rout theres always a chance the router will take a peice "outa" the drill'd hole... the router is soo fast and clean its a very cold cut.
where as the drill puts more heat ! this softens the plex and soft or warm'd plex is less likley to chip
I'm sure if you look close enuf theres a few "offline" bolts! shhhhhh!

thanx again for the awsome support :)

Sweet job on the case. I have had a similar idea for some time now, but with no money, time, and definitely not the skills that you have, it's great to see something come out that resembles something that I wanted to do. Keep up the awesome work!!!!

Defyant,
That is so awesome, I am blown away!
And you were right the mesh makes it look better.!

SICK CASE!

cypher22 said:
Awesome mod.

Not to hijack but you can buy mesh for 80mm and 120mm fans preformed in 4-5 colors for .99cents a grill

sure, you could....but thats no fun!!!!

Nice work man, your a true modder, thats for damn sure. Ive been following your work since back in the day when modding was "new". Nice to see the same old faces :)

cypher22 said:

Out of curiosity... where? (Yes, I am no fun! :p )

excellent case design. I love it. Maybe you should consider some white LED (like lightning ;) )

Anyway, where do you live that you have a local fastner and local plexi shop?

Can somone please get me a bucket. Because i'm drewling all over my keyboard :D

This case is awesome dude. Really slick ;) Keep going on.

thanx for the great replys guys :) ive been off in the world of WC! WoW'ing away :)

a few updates to get you guys upto speed :)

The original Front cdrom and top panels wernt 100% square...i free hand cut them and then dremal cut the insided out and filed as streight as i could get them.....

Still looked a bit "dodgy",,, so i had 2 new panels precut and gave them the once over on the router bench! hehehe love saying that now!!!! "the router bench" !

in action!!!!

IMG_8424.jpg

One is a "dummy panel" and is goin to also act as the front mount for the Matrix Orbital lcd display.

The second is for the cdrom.

IMG_8473.jpg

Just a standard matrix... but being oem no mounts!

IMG_8554.jpg

nothing flash but heres what i came up with.

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8558.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg

IMG_8561.jpg

IMG_8564.jpg

IMG_8553.jpg

IMG_8570.jpg

IMG_8571.jpg

IMG_8572.jpg

IMG_8573.jpg

IMG_8575.jpg

IMG_8576.jpg

IMG_8577.jpg

IMG_8579.jpg

IMG_8581.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_8585.jpg

IMG_8586.jpg

With the cdrom panel added.

IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8589.jpg

A qik fix for an eject button for the dvdrw , same idea as used on persplexed ..but more stelthier looking.

the crom rom door is marked and drilled with a countersunk hole

IMG_8758.jpg

The mod is all made from small hollow and sold plex rod.. a tiny button is cut

IMG_8762.jpg

Finger sanded smooth

IMG_8764.jpg

IMG_8767.jpg

checked for fit

IMG_8770.jpg

The sanded shaft is check for lenght

IMG_8772.jpg

a back "stopper ring" is cut and glued to the main shaft

IMG_8777.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

The front button is glued on and the e3xcess off the back of the shaft is meausred and cut away

IMG_8781.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8788.jpg

Simple but effective

IMG_8835.jpg

IMG_8845.jpg

Next was to move onto installing the swiftech mpc 360 mini pump!

a custom stand or bracket was cut and drilled for the pump to mount to...

IMG_8852.jpg

This now allows the pump to sit in a the cdrom bay

IMG_8853.jpg

IMG_8854.jpg

IMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

With the crom pump and matrix LCD out of the way!

was time to move onto what will be the "Storm Tunnels"

The idea of the Storm tunnels will be to not only look cool but to help deliver clean air to the centre of the case.

Originall i was goin to use clear plex 80mm tubes! but had a couple of add "Baddong" cooling ducts and thought i'd give these a shot.

I also like the colour!

IMG_8710.jpg

the first idea was to make some custom adaptors to bolt the tunnels onto the fan!
then i relised that the fans themselfs could be modded to accept the tunnels.

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

The solution was to trim away some of the fans mounts allowing the Storm Tunnels to slide over the left over edge.

IMG_8713.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

IMG_8718.jpg

IMG_8719.jpg

a qick few shots to show how they will work.

IMG_8721.jpg

IMG_8724.jpg

With the front Storm Fans bolted in the Storm tunnels will sit more apart'

IMG_8732.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

A custom Rear back plate will be made to secure the Rear Storm Tunnel Fans

Made from a measured and cut peice of 3mm tinted plex

IMG_8738.jpg

IMG_8739.jpg

IMG_8742.jpg

IMG_8745.jpg

IMG_8748.jpg

Again! to keep intheme and give the Mod a finished look! some more custom grills are cut , hammered into shape and fitted in.

IMG_8863.jpg

IMG_8864.jpg

A hole is cut for the cdrom and pump the paper removed and the whole panel is Edge flamed.

again Hex head bolts are used to hole the rear Storm fans in place.

IMG_8865.jpg

IMG_8872.jpg

IMG_8869.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

One of the ducts is not sittting 100% , i'll take some time thru the weeks to see if i can PU a new one as that one was used in a previouse mod and was bent a bit out of shape.

But for now you can pretty much see the full effect.

IMG_8873.jpg

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8889.jpg

IMG_8895.jpg

holymoly m8, your plexi-mod-skills rock.
Real inspiring mod, I can tell
this effect just looks like it has been made inside some kind of factory or so... ;)

cypher22 said:
Awesome mod.

P1030720.jpg

Nooooooooooo why buy when you have the skills to make it yourself. That's what modding is all about, making it and not buying.

thank you guys :) appreciate the pos feedback, sydney aust :)

this is some trial and error modding here!!!

From the start the original idea was to have lightening bolts, 2 on the sides and 2 smaller ones on the top of the case and one on the inside on the motherboard cover.

after making the original "plex flames" idea , i knew it was possible! but...... while making the "Bolt" i came up with a much much better idea! stay with me!

a few weeks back i made what will be the "STORM'D" logo and bolt for the "off side" of the case.

The letters are plain bold..i didn't want anything too fancy to take away from the "bolt" wich will be the main side feature.

The letters were simply printed out then traced onto clear 3.5mm plex.

The "bolt" was drawn "freehand" on some scrap plex.

IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8635.jpg

Over to the bandsaw to cut it all out

IMG_8638.jpg

The "bolt" was a slow process! i'm not looking forward to doing 5 of these!!!!

IMG_8636.jpg

But with a some patience and steady hand! it come out uncraked! :)

IMG_8639.jpg

With the tape pealed off and a qick "frosting" almost look good! ( a good idea for anyone else! would be to do the frosting before you cut the pattern!)

IMG_8791.jpg

Spread out with the Logo and the bolt this is how it will look on the side of the case.....

NB!! This is not the main side, this is the "off side" mother board side of the case.

And you have to imagine that this will be over tinted plex! so the contrast will be alot more effective then over the brown paper.

IMG_8657.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg

Next was a few very feeble and sorry looking attempts @ trying to light the bolt up with LED's!

this was never going to work :(....... the light will just not flow evenly along the bolt.

IMG_8649.jpg

after a day on the "think"! ....i came up wth this solution!

using some old scrap EL wire from my old "light tubes" days from HP2 i thought about "channeling" the EL wire along the back of the smoked plex panel
under the The Bolt.

USING YELLOW SO NOT TO WAIST my BLUE stock of EL.

IMG_8792.jpg

a scrap peice of smoked 3.5mm plex

IMG_8793.jpg

The Bolt is placed on top and with a scratchmarker traced so to give me a chanel to grove

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8796.jpg

The using a simple round engraving top on the trusty dremal i groved the chanel for the EL stip to sit in.

IMG_8799.jpg

Next was to press and just for now! tape in the EL wire stip down...the end result will be "Glued" as a more permanent solution.

IMG_8802.jpg

Flip the mod panel over

IMG_8803.jpg

lay the bolt ontop!

IMG_8805.jpg

some light action!

:)

IMG_8812.jpg

Back