Storm vs MP-05 SP Limted Edition

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, the Storm has been proven to be best available WB. In a review by system cooling, the MP-05 performs just below the Storm. It was later determined that Systemcooling recieved a defective waterblock...And also the block tested was hand lapped unlike the current ones which are sold with a machine lap.

What's everyone's opinion on the newer MP-05 (Limited Edition). Is it a contender against the Storm? Or was it a nice try?

I just got the LE model yesterday. It will be several days b4 I even get this started. Design and quality seems good except for minor scuffing on the bottom of the contact point which I'm a little concerned about. I'll find out what kind of customer service Cooltechnica actually has when I ask them for a replacement. But I really don't know if these are just benign scuff marks and make no performance hit. I would think If I spent $75 that the thing would look flawless on the bottom. The pins are done nicely. Seems to be no loose shavings. I can however just see the sparkle of refracting light (possibly copper dust on the inside surface). A couple minor imperfections (slight ding/dents throughout, pretty much cosmetic). Pins seem very smooth on the top and seems to be cut very well. Exception is 1 single outer pin has a very minior imperfection at the top. I'm new to wc so I don't know what the standards are either. But for my $75 spent I would hope that I would get near perfection. I'll let you know how Cooltechnica handles this. Hopefully they will read this and respond appropriately on my minor issues (hope they are minor).

I'm so sick right now that I couldn't even possibly figure out my camera. the camera sucks. Once I get over this flu for the 4th day now I'd love to get hopefully good pics of this imperfections for everone to give me opinions.

I should have one by this weekend for testing while I wait for my Storm rev 2. I will post pics and temps!

I switched back and forth between a Storm and MP-05 SP LE several times in the past couple weeks on a naked 170 and can't tell any difference in performance.

-pickles

I've actually been emailing extrapickles but didn't realize he was on this forum too. He is a nice guy. Once I can get some good lighting going I'll try to show the blemishes with my crappy camera. The rest of my system comes in tomorrow which includes:

Swiftech MC 220 radiator
Swiftech MC60 gpu block
Swiftech 655 pump.

UPS has really given me a headache with getting my package delivered to an alternate address. I was supposed to have the stuff above last Thursday. I'm wondering if I should use AS5 or my Shin-Etsu X23-7783D paste with this setup?

Nice!

I just cant seem to find any reviews for the mp-05 sp LE one.

The Mp-05 Sp compared very close to the Storm with 300 pins and it should do nicely with 430 pins compared to the Storm.

My new case and setup should all be here by the weekend and I did not wnat to wait for the Storm Rev2.

i just ordered a MP-05 Pro LE this morning from D-tek... free shipping on orders over $100... tax for me tho :( since i am in CA

Well here's what I could get at the moment:

I really need to take some pics in direct sunlight to take out some of the orangish tint. Some of the pics I haven't post even made those line scratches look much worse than they actually are. You really can't even notice those line scratches when looking at it directly. The camera really made those stand out. The dark circles are the more what I'm concerned about as they are much more visible to the naked eye then the lines.

It's not exactly pretty but it won't hurt anything. I wouldn't sweat it if it was me. Fire it up!

-pickles

Here's some the rest. Hosting them as we speak:

Here is the one where the scratches look worse than they actually are. The lighting exagerated these:

and yes it has 432 pins (24 x 18)

Hasn't this block been out long enough? Why isn't there a review for it? :confused:

IMO, it's been severely underrated...(and IMO so have all the MP-05's)

I believe that there is a review out for it.

At equal flows it just about matches the Storm.

However, supposedly it's more restrictive so your flow wouldnt be quite as high as with the storm so it would perform slightly worse.

Can't remember who reviewed it.... Systemcooling ?

I think you might be referring to MP-05 SP review SystemCooling did, AFAIK, they haven't tested the MP-05 SP LE.

I'd say the MP-05 blocks are under-rated because they really aren't quite as good as the Storm. The price tag is the only thing that can best it at the moment.

Getting high flowrates in the SP LE is a considerable challenge. However, ff you have a few DC pumps, this is the block to have.

I'm surprised at the fact that they're having some issues with defective parts. Even though it looks complex, there's really nothing to this block. I'm actually somewhat bewildered at the price tag - this thing could be very easily sold at $55.

Well machining the micropins can't be easy. The MP-05 SP came exceedingly close to the Storm in SystemCooling's review...And that was with a beta version of the block (not machine lapped).

It would be great to see how the improvements in the LE compare to the Storm.

Actually, it's quite easy, and relatively inexpensive. Requires a little time, but there's no magic to it.

The MP-05 SP LE comes exceedingly close to the Storm in terms of performance, not in pressure drop. Pressure drop is still a large factor in choosing a water block, and that's not something that's really conveyed in RoboTech's data. Comparing two blocks at, say, 2GPM flowrates is the way to do it, but both blocks may not attain these flowrates in your configuration. In fact, I'd be interested in anyone who's getting 2GPM+ flowrates in a typical loop with a an MP-05 SP LE. I'd venture to guess that with my configuration, I'm seeing about 3.5GPM with my dual-pumped Storm G5, while I'd probably get somewhere over the 2GPM hump with the MP-05.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big pin grid guy, but I still don't see it as a comparable block to the Storm when looking at many factors.

We'll have to wait for a good review to come out to see that :)

Dual G5's in one loop? How many components are going through it? To me it seems like a little bit overkill...And I agree, I don't think my pump could pull even close to 2GPM with those two blocks. It wasn't even able to provide proper flow for one MP-05 SP. Aquarium pumps aren't usually designed to provide good dead head pressure, but they are more rugged than the 12V pumps...

So much overkill that I can't get to sleep, I think about the implications....Of diving in too deep, and possibly the complications.

:)

Performance update:

MP-05 SP LE using AS5 also with Swiftech MCW-60 on the loop (7800gt is downclocked at 130 core 2d)

Be known I'm am not using my mb probe temps. I'm using a modded probe I specifically bought. It's a 1/4" NTC micro thermistor accurate to +/- 0.2c placed directly between the pins of the processor. It has been tested from 35c to 50c with a maxiumum over-reading of up to 4c. What I mean is that the thermistor must be place with only its first 5mm leading edge to be exposed to the area to be read. Otherwise any further gives a higher than actual reading up to 4c. Since about 1/2" of the leads are directly under the cpu and I am more than likely hitting the 4c over-reading. Also, I believe the bottom of the processor where the probe is located would be holding more heat than the contact surface where heat can easily transfer to the block Here are the readings:

Ambient 24.5. Temp inside case is 30.6c (open case)

Running Dual Sp2004 burn for 52 minutes at 2750 mhz

47c

Note there are very hot capacitors near the cpu which if not given airflow heat up and report the onboard cpu temps to be 70-75c. This eventually affects the area around the cpu and the modded thermistor temps. If I blow a fan over these capacitors then my results are 43c.

But just out of curiosity, temp is the MB sensor reading?

And what else is in the loop?

CoW]8(0) said:
But just out of curiosity, temp is the MB sensor reading?

And what else is in the loop?

Without fan 75-78c with fan over the capacitors ~45c.

Loop only has distilled water with ~1oz methanol and ~1oz Havoline Dexcool.

Swiftech MCR 220 radiator and swiftech D5 pump 7/16" Masklateer tubing 2 x 120mm AOC fans 80 CFM both on high

scwam said:
I'm so sick right now that I couldn't even possibly figure out my camera. the camera sucks. Once I get over this flu for the 4th day now I'd love to get hopefully good pics of this imperfections for everone to give me opinions.

To sick to click and snape but posting in the forums. LOL

If thats a machine lapp its very poor quality.

Yeah, I took some good japanese flu medicine shortly after I wrote that and it masked my flu for a good 12 hours. They make the best meds. This block definatetly does not live up to the smoothness of the swiftech mcw-60 gpu block

That's a pretty big disappointment...They increased the pin count but fudged the machine lap?

True, QC usually isn't perfect this early in a WB's release. But the baseplates (only two) I'm seeing on the LE's aren't promising...

It's really strange because I took off the block again and you can't even see those long line marks with the naked eye. Only the camera picks that up.

man i was thinking about getting one of those or tradein for one ... might stick with my apogee

Back