Storing servers and network gear

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
We are in the process of getting our house up for sale and that unfortunately means tearing down my home lab. Unfortunately I'm not sure about storing the gear. We live in Houston and I can either store it in the garage or move it to the climate controlled storage space. The issue with the storage space is it's a 10x10 and space is quickly filling up. My plan was to leave the server rack in the garage.

Would the heat and humidity of Houston be an issue for a couple months with the systems turned off? Talking about storing 3 R710's, a Norco 4220, and a couple Cisco switches.

Honestly, probably not. I have done this before. but if you have the option of the storage unit. I would do that. Simply because I wouldnt want to have to replace any of it just because I didnt put it in storage.

Im sure something going into storage can sit in the garage ;)

farscapesg1 wrap em up like you would be getting ready for a hurricane and store them in the garage. It's what I've had to do when storing servers here in Houston as well. Biggest thing you want to keep out is all of the gunk we have in the air... especially after harvey.

The only concern I'd have are the batteries within the server. Otherwise use the storage if possible. I have had numerous computer parts in the garage and then reused over time without issue.

Back