Store MI slow read speeds?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
On my 2600x

Main OS is an nVME

storemi is 2tb Barracuda (latest model) and 256 GB Crucial M4 (about a 7 year old SSD)

I can write to the Storemi @ about 140MB/s but reads from the Storemi to the nvme are around 50 MB/s

Do you have any idea what is causing this? I have done a lot of research but am coming up short.

I would expect read speeds to be close to 500MB/s if pulled from the m4 ssd and at least 120-150MB/s from the spinner. But I am not seeing that at all.

What are you reading off the drive at those speeds? single large file or lots of small files? Are those files on the HDD or SSD or does Store MI not show? With it turned off what is the read speed of the same files? Is this a new problem or was it like this from the start?

Don't know much about the software so I am just shooting in the dark here.

I'm no Storemi expert but my first guess is that Storemi caches your data to the SSD before writing to the Barracuda resulting in decent write speeds. When you read data from the Storemi it's probably pulled from the barracuda directly resulting in poor speeds (particularly if you are moving smaller files that the spinner has to hunt for.)

Presumably the Storemi will cache more data as it learns your usage patterns (or at least that's how hybrid drives normally work) and you will get quicker writes from files you access frequently. Random pulls from the Storemi will never be great, that's just the reality of using a hybrid system rather than a large SSD.

No the problem is especially present in large sequential reads like a 10GB file for example.

I removed storemi completely and the barracuda is able to send files at its rated speed so something was amiss with Store MI.

I plan to remove the really old SSd and get a newer larger one and not use Store Mi. Its a good idea but I can afford a big fast solid state in lieu.

I appreciate the replies.

Back