Storage Spaces Problem Win 10 Enterprise

sitheris

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have this storage pool that I created for storing my media files and photography backups. I have been using it successfully for a few years now with no issue. It was created in Windows 8 but worked fine after upgrading to Windows 10. Suddenly I started having this problem (See screenshot)

Mdw12qt.png

Is there anything I can do to fix this without losing the files? I tried adding another drive to the pool as it suggests but I get another error saying "The request is not supported". It wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost everything but I sure would like to salvage it all if possible. I don't have it backed up anywhere unfortunately. I don't know powershell commands very well but I'm wondering if there's something I can do there to bring it back in service? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Can you run this in PowerShell and see if any of the three drives shows something different from the others?

Code:
Get-PhysicalDisk

This is what I see from that command:

Code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-PhysicalDisk

FriendlyName                    SerialNumber    MediaType   CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage            Size
------------                    ------------    ---------   ------- ----------------- ------------ -----            ----
Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series      S1ATNSAD882947N SSD         False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select 238.47 GB
WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device WD-WMC1T3326020 Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB
WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device WD-WMC1T3180673 Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB
WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device WD-WMC1T3075279 Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB
WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0           WD-WCAY01714166 Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   1.82 TB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB       S21NNSAFC85469M SSD         False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select 232.89 GB
WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0            WD-WCC1T1423988 Unspecified True    OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB

The last drive listed is one I formatted and tried to add to the pool which resulted in the error message "The request is not supported". Which I find curious, as it is the only drive with the CanPool flag set to True.

This is what I see from that command:

Code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-PhysicalDisk

FriendlyName                    SerialNumber    MediaType   CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage            Size
------------                    ------------    ---------   ------- ----------------- ------------ -----            ----
Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series      S1ATNSAD882947N SSD         False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select 238.47 GB
WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device WD-WMC1T3326020 Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB
WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device WD-WMC1T3180673 Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB
WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 ATA Device WD-WMC1T3075279 Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB
WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0           WD-WCAY01714166 Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   1.82 TB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB       S21NNSAFC85469M SSD         False   OK                Healthy      Auto-Select 232.89 GB
WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0            WD-WCC1T1423988 Unspecified True    OK                Healthy      Auto-Select   2.73 TB

The last drive listed is one I formatted and tried to add to the pool which resulted in the error message "The request is not supported". Which I find curious, as it is the only drive with the CanPool flag set to True.

Now check out the reliability counter of each drive with

Code:
Get-PhysicalDisk <DiskName> | Get-StorageReliabilityCounter

Particularly the read and write errors. Perhaps when you can get it online you can bring in the similar sized drive.

Also it may help to change the mediatype to HDD

Code:
Set-PhysicalDisk –FriendlyName <diskname> -MediaType  HDD

Last edited:
So just an update. I somehow managed to add a new drive to the pool after several reboots. After that, I ran the optimize storage function and let it do its thing. After it finished the drive showed up in Windows explorer, but when I tried to open it I kept getting Access denied errors. Long story short I played around with ownership/permissions and rebooted a few times and finally got access to the drive, and all my files were still there :) So I'm not sure exactly what happened but I'm thinking I'll move everything off of the storage pool and just use standalone hard drives with backups going forward. Thanks for the help!

So just an update. I somehow managed to add a new drive to the pool after several reboots. After that, I ran the optimize storage function and let it do its thing. After it finished the drive showed up in Windows explorer, but when I tried to open it I kept getting Access denied errors. Long story short I played around with ownership/permissions and rebooted a few times and finally got access to the drive, and all my files were still there :) So I'm not sure exactly what happened but I'm thinking I'll move everything off of the storage pool and just use standalone hard drives with backups going forward. Thanks for the help!
That's great news! And a good idea!

I just fixed my storage spaces issue.... had converted from 8 to 2016 to 10 but finally got it working by adding another disk. As we speak its "repairing".

Nothing wrong with using pools and such, but even more important to have backups.

Back