Storage solution for home lab?

talmania

n00b
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2
I haven't been following latest trends but I've been reading ferociously the past couple of days here and would like some feedback.

I need to get up to speed on VSphere--I'm in a Hyper-V shop and after a merger VMWare will become a staple. So I'm moving forward with getting a new home lab server setup and wanted some recommendations on what I should be looking at for SAN/iSCSI storage. I obviously can't replicate the VNX or even VNXe we have in our various datacenters.

What do I have? Currently have the following available to me:

HP SAS Expander
P212 controller
Various 2TB SATA drives (and lots more of smaller sizes)
4 SSD's (from gen1 30gb to a 256GB 830)
Various old HP DL380 G5's
powerconnect gigabit switch


Storage will be strictly for VM's and education with a preference given to potential for growth. I absolutely hate building something then finding out 6 months to a year later it won't serve my new desired purposes or that I've limited myself in the functionality of my build. I already have a Unraid Norco 4220 that serves my media and backups and would rather keep that separate. This will be a performance oriented storage solution. Should I be looking at an appliance like the Synology or building a ZFS flavor? I have some funds and am willing to spend more for an ideal/flexible solution but don't want to spend thousands. No set budget yet.

Would ideally like a lower energy solution and thus my hesitation with repurposing the G5's.

I'm familiar with linux and navigating my way around but I always seem to learn how to do something, time passes and I completely forget about how to do/resolve it and end up having to learn it all over again.

I know there are plenty of others here who have gone down this road and faced similar situation. I'm completely open to any and all suggestions--thanks in advance!
 
You can use gear you have or gear you buy and just do NFS on whatever platform you like. That's all you really need. I use Synology for my vSphere lab but..any NFS exporting system will do the job.

And if you want to simulate a VNX or VNXe go grab the VNX VSA and run that as a VM.
 
Back
Top