Storage server upgrade planning (HBA + SAS Expander)

Hello,

At the moment I have a Norcotek RPC4220 with some 2 and 4TB hardrives connected to a IBM M1015 and a HPT Rocket Raid 2680 running on FlexRaid.
This setup runs just fine but the problem is that I'm running out of space.

I also have a HP DL320S and my plan is to buy a LSI SAS 9207-4i4e to run the drives in both chassis.
So the DL320S will have 12 drives connected to the internal port on the LSI card and the external port will go to my RPC4220. This way I can get rid of the power hungry AMD systems that inside the norco.

The main problem right now seems to be picking the right SAS expander that will work for me. I would really prefer a Intel one or a other one that can be powered over molex instead of PCI.
So, Which SAS expander should I use for my LSI SAS 9207-4i4e?

The Intel SAS expander RES2SV240 works perfectly for me without a single issue, both with the LSI 9211-8i and with a mainboard-integrated LSI SAS2308 (same as 9207-8i). If you need more ports, the 36 port version is based on the same chip and should also work if you can mount it somehow in your case.

The Intel SAS expander RES2SV240 works perfectly for me without a single issue, both with the LSI 9211-8i and with a mainboard-integrated LSI SAS2308 (same as 9207-8i). If you need more ports, the 36 port version is based on the same chip and should also work if you can mount it somehow in your case.

Good to know :)

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Back