Storage server question

Wil32

n00b
I just bought a norco 4220 case and I would like to have some lead about the spec i should get. I have already a build in my head but i would like other ppl opinions about it. The build consist into a main system with 20 HDD no extension.

Norco 4220
2x Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8 Port SATA Card PCIX
Supermicro X7SBE-O
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHZ
Corsair HX850 modular psu
Corsair 4GB XMS2 DDR2800

1. The build may go into a 100mbits/1gbit connection with data hosting.(no streaming). About that, i dont know if my spec are enough.

2. Working out the build get a 20 HDD extension at low cost would be a good thing.

3. The OS is still hard to figure out to me because i want something that doesnt strip/mirror like RAID option and I want to expend( add 1 HDD, fill it, add another) withouth messing everything up.

Why not just use Windows Home Server...it does pretty much precisely what you want in your third point, as its "storage pool" can be expanded on as-needed basis. Have you looked through the WHS FAQ thread that is at the top of the forum index?

aight WHS wins. What bout the specs???, is there anyway toget an enclosure and get cheaper parts that will do the same job??

CPU doesn't need to be spectacular. Pentium Dual Core, as long as it's supported on your motherboard, is fine. Get as much RAM as you can afford.

The Corsair 850W is probably borderline overkill, it has 70A on +12. I don't see your proposed setup using more than 40A during normal usage. You may need the 850W if all of the drives try to spin up at once though.

I'd prefer the PCI-Express version of the SATA host card you identified, as it will be much easier to port to a new system at some point. However, the PCI-X version you've identified will give plenty of throughput.

You're going to need MiniSAS to SATA breakout cables with the 4220 and the SM SAT2 cards. If you're going to use the SAT2 cards, which I would, I'd see if you can find a Norco 4020. The 4020 backplane has SATA connectors as opposed to MiniSAS on the 4220. That would save you some cable cost and probably make the case a hair cheaper as well. Other than MiniSAS, I don't see where the 4220 is any better than the 4020. Also, I believe it's the general consensus that the 4020 has better airflow (more pourous faceplate).

You're going to need MiniSAS to SATA breakout cables with the 4220 and the SM SAT2 cards. If you're going to use the SAT2 cards, which I would, I'd see if you can find a Norco 4020. The 4020 backplane has SATA connectors as opposed to MiniSAS on the 4220. That would save you some cable cost and probably make the case a hair cheaper as well. Other than MiniSAS, I don't see where the 4220 is any better than the 4020. Also, I believe it's the general consensus that the 4020 has better airflow (more pourous faceplate).

I dont get the SAT2 part.

The Norco 4220 is already purchased.

I have build like this using desktop mobo and 3wire/chenbro combo. Should i go with that??

About thr airflow, i might buy better fans likr seen in other threads about this issue in this forum.

The SAT2 cards have 8 SATA ports. The 4220 has 5 MiniSAS connectors. MiniSAS connectors are multi-lane connectors. The way the 4220 is set up, it's 1 MiniSAS (SFF-8087) connector per horizontal row. If you use the SAT2 cards you will need breakout cables that have 4 SATA connectors for the controller end and 1 SFF-8087 connector for the target end. This is the same cable you need to use for the mobo SATA ports as well.

oh those cables, yeah didnt know it was SAT2 or whatever. Still i dont nkow if I should take supermicro mobo and raid card or desktop mobo with 3wire/chebron

My fault - by SAT2 I was refering to the Supermicro card. BTW the Supermicro SAT2-MV8 card is not a RAID card, it's just a controller card.

Why not get a desktop mobo, and use the SM SASLP-MV8? then you dont need fanout cables.

This will be a much nicer looking solution, and better for airflow.

i know that, it help add more hard drive to the system. sounds like i will stick with the build posted in my first post

i just saw that the mobo has 4 pci-x slot, is there anyway to get a 20hdd enclosure with that, so the enclosure would have a PSU, CASE and HDD.

Last edited:
Back