Storage server + iscsi + fibre channel?

feffrey

Gawd
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
585
I have a 2k8 r2 server with storage server on it along with a fibre hba.
I also have a scsi box attached to the server via a scsi raid card.
I was able to setup iscsi with the scsi drives however I have a fabric switch that I want to use for the scsi drives. I then have a few servers that have fibre hba attached to the switch. Will storage server pass the scsi disks through the fabric switch or should I use something else to do that?
 
What is the exact equipment you have?

Dell 6950
Dell perc 4/dc
attached to
Compaq scsi box with 14 drives
Raid 0, about 1.5 tb
Emulex EMC LP10000DC-E Fibre Channel PCI-X HBA
Brocade 2800 fabric switch

All of this is just for testing and learning. I've never setup a san before, so any help would be great.
 
So do you want to run the iSCSI traffic over the Brocade?

That switch is at least 10 years old at this point and would offer no advantage over a standard modern Gigabit Ethernet switch.
 
Last edited:
So do you want to run the iSCSI traffic over the Brocade?

That switch is at least 10 years old at this point and would offer no advantage over a standard modern Gigabit Ethernet switch.

Yep exactly what I want to do. I know it is ancient, but was something a buddy of mine gave me, and I finally have time to work on it.
Would nexenta work better for this than storage sever?
 
Back
Top