Storage HDD failure. Two questions.

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
my 500gb hdd storage drive failed on me.

1st question. if i leave the drive @ full capacity, burn sum files and then add more so it's back @ full capacity does that reduce the life of my drive dramatically?

2nd question. my drive seems to stop working once warmed up. i only have a 1 to 2 min window to access it then it's inaccessible again. would the freezer trick allow me to access files from this drive and for approx how long? how many times could i do the trick? if said trick works how to properly do it? my plan was to throw it in the freezer for 30 mins, place it in my external case and accessing it via usb.

i don't plan on taking it to sum1 to fix this issue. if i'm unable to remedy this by myself the drive is lost. i had an old backup of the drive, but neglected to back it up recently and therefore i will be losing about 200+gb of info out of 400gb.

thx for the input.

That it stops working when it warms up indicates that a bearing has gone. Using the freezer trick should indeed work for getting the files off. How long it will work... is variable.

Nothing you do will reduce the lifespan of the drive, besides the obvious (don't drop it, overheat it, zap it with static electricity, wave a powerful magnet around it, etc.)

Back