• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Storage for home ESXi and HyperV

kpm2k

n00b
Joined
Mar 14, 2011
Messages
12
Hey Guys,

I need to add some storage to my network at home for VM's. I currently just run 4 x 36gig scsi 15k drives.

I bought a 4port Raid controller.

My plan was to add 3 or 4 146gig 15k SAS drives.. the cost is about $70 per drive.. going with 500gig 7200rpm drives is half the price. Is the performance worth the price and less storage amount ?

And, would I be able to utilize the storage for both ESXi and HyperV VM's?
 
I personally would just go Sata. It's a home lab do you really need the performance. I was rocking 2x1.5tb sata drives in a raid 1 with no troubles. Now I've got 3x 500 gbs in a raid 5 and 5x 320s in a raid 5 in the same box. Runs great for what I need it to do
 
You only need SAS drives if you really need the I/Os or performance. For a home box, Id save the money and go w/ SATA drives. As long as your raid controller is compatible with VMWare or you have windows drivers for Hyper V, then it should work
 
A high density 7k rpm drive will saturate 1GbE network without any raid or anything. 3 new high density 5k rpm drives in raid 5 will saturate as well. Since there's some implication that this is network attached storage and all.
 
Back
Top