Storage Device Suggestions?

Silverfox1

Limp Gawd
Since i am sorta behind the times can someone suggest an external storage device for my collection of processed DSLR jpegs & Music files.
I am looking for a device that possibly comes with its own software to be installed on windows xp thru windows 7 that wont just start downloading everything at once from my pc when you first connect it to one of the PC USB ports.
I want to control what will be externally stored by my selection and afterwards unplug the external storage media device and then delete the files from my PC to increase my storage capacity. Then simply re-connect the device to either view the downloaded stored files or add newly processed jpegs or new music files at my leisure.

So what can any of you folks suggest i consider that will give me this capability?

I have seen the below but dont really need this type for external viewing:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644633-REG/Digital_Foci_P23_250_Picture_Porter_35_250GB.html

But i dont want a portable external HD that copys ALL the PC files when you 1st hook-it up to the PC either.

Regards

Last edited:
Broken link.

Sounds like you could use a NAS (or maybe a Windows Home Server). Total size, any need for expandability, budget, and redundancy (like RAID 1) will also help narrow this down.

NAS

Windows Home Server

Drobo's are expensive, proprietary, and expensive but common for this sort of task. Check the link above and see if anything registers (try the Power search tab in the lft blue column). Post any questions here.

Sounds like you want to manually manage the moving of files.
Just get an external drive and manually move over your files with Windows Explorer.
I don't see how backup software will be anything but a hindrance to you, but maybe I am misunderstanding and you want to move all JPGs within a certain folder?

You could also set up a "staging area" on the internal drive, where you move and sort the files before they go to the external one.

Be aware that if you drop the external drive down the stairs by accident, there is a good chance you will lose your data. You should get two so you have a backup. Or some kind of NAS as Homer suggests

Back