Storage box build - need case/mobo advice

Kueller

Supreme [H]ardness
Goal: (Low cost?) NAS box, that I can use as an HTPC in the future.

CPU: G3220 $50 Microcenter
GPU: Integrated
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 or Bitfenix Phenom both ~$70, or Lian Li PC-Q25B $90 - Case might be PSU dependent.
RAM: 2x 2GB from the closet
Mobo: Asrock Z87e-ITX $130 or Asus H87i-Plus $99...Open to other options, was looking for 6x SATA ports which really limited choices. Decently equipped mITX mobo's are all so expensive!
PSU: Would like to re-use my antec TP New 750W if it will fit in any of the cases I'm considering. 150mm x 150mm x 86mm dimensions
HDD: Re-use current 2x 3TB and 2x 2TB drives. Eventually planning on 5x 3TB.

On the AMD side there are a number of FM2 ITX boards with 6+ SATA ports. I think ASRock made 3 different models with that many ports (one FM2, two FM2+). Just tossing that out there as another option.

On the AMD side there are a number of FM2 ITX boards with 6+ SATA ports. I think ASRock made 3 different models with that many ports (one FM2, two FM2+). Just tossing that out there as another option.
I'm open to AMD, price is the main factor here.

I have a microcenter nearby so I actually looked at AMD first figuring I would be able to find an A6-6400k/Mobo combo deal, but all the AMD ITX boards they stocked topped out at 4 SATA ports.

For the case I'd get the Fractal. Its' design is sleek (either black or white), the pricing is decent and you can get a big GPU in one day and for now you'll find place for six HDDs. Heck, there'd be even some spare space for some SSDs. Also your PSU will fit in: up to 160mm length as per Fractal's website.

Of course your PSU is a total overkill for this build but then again that's pretty [H].

If it wasnt for the Low cost NAS & Future HTPC I would recommend a ASRock MITX server motherboard. I am planning a similar kinda build, but looking to use RAIDZ2(raid6).

For the case I'd get the Fractal. Its' design is sleek (either black or white), the pricing is decent and you can get a big GPU in one day and for now you'll find place for six HDDs. Heck, there'd be even some spare space for some SSDs. Also your PSU will fit in: up to 160mm length as per Fractal's website.

Of course your PSU is a total overkill for this build but then again that's pretty [H].

Well, the 750W is my back-up PSU atm, it was powering my gaming rig for a good while. Then a few months ago I ran across a deal on a 1050W XFX rebadged Seasonic for $100 and couldn't pass it up. Replacing a PSU in a case with

I'm sold on the Node 304, it's got everything I need and offers the best future development opportunities. Looks pretty nice, wish the mesh vents on the white model were white rather than black though.
Looks sleek enough to blend in with home theater equipment.
Fits a big video card, with a vent right in front of it for cool air and dual slot exhaust out the back.

Did you start this yet, Im getting ready to start a similar project.

No, I threw the components into my deal alerts list and now I'm just waiting for some sales to pop up. The Node 304 has been down around $55 before, but the best I can find currently is $80-$85.

Also trying to get my HDDs in order before I build. I went into MC and got my hands on the Node 304, after seeing it in person I decided I only want to have to build this thing once, it's literally half the size of a bitfenix prodigy. Currently have 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 2x3TB, which I want to consolidate into 6x3TB in this NAS box and 1x2TB in my gaming PC.

The only thing to be aware about hte Fractal is the drive installs are back to back in 3 pairs. So when you run cables, you need inverted ports or you have to twist the cable to install.This also means you need both right angle and left angle cables if you you want to use those.

Remember Microcenter will pricematch to newegg and amazon so check those prices while you're there. I had my Fractal price matched to newegg the day newegg had it on sale :-D
You know MC just finished their BYOD sale last month? They had most components for %20 off and cheaper than newegg...

There is also the SilverStone DS380. 12 bay storage Mini-ITX with 8 of the bays being front access hotswap.

Link

The Corsair Obsidian 250D is a little larger than the Fractal but it can accommodate a liquid CPU cooler with a radiator 140mm x 280mm and any size PSU. I put a 200mm intake fan in the front with an H100i cooler so the thing is extremely quiet even at full load.

Back