Stopped playing SOTA need a new RPG game to play

Cally

Limp Gawd
Need a suggestion of a new game to play now that I have stopped playing Shroud of the avatar. I like RPG style games.
checked a few sources but nothing popped out to me. Don't care about R vs R or PVP just PVE style. I don't want to waste money on games buying them blindly.

RPG style games is a really broad category. Do you have any preferences? I'll just put some down that I liked.

Dungeon Siege 2

Bauldar's Gate

Pillars of Eternity

WoW on Warmane

Pillars of Eternity looks pretty good I plan ot get that a little later in the month.

I dug out a copy of Baldurs Gate TOSC I had stashed in the closet I had forgotten about. I started to play it and never did much with it. Installed it yesterday,

If you like the Ultima-style gameplay check out the Divinity series. The Shadowrun Returns saga is also pretty good. If you're interested more in an MMO check out Neverwinter, which is F2P.

I played the first game in the Divinity series, just never got back to playing any of the rest.

I bought Dishonored this morning to see if I would like it. I had a hard time with the controls doing what I needed to do at first. A few hours later I was moving along just fine. Kind of a neat game for a change.

I was interested in Neverwinter then i started reading some bad reviews when your character gets over level 60. Posters said it was all about PTW from then on. Not knowing if that was true or not I elected to stay away until I could find out for sure.

I will give Shadowrun a look though and see how I like it.

Have you played The Witcher 3? Mass Effect series? Dragon Age: Origins?

If you haven't to any of those then I'd highly recommend them.

Also of course Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines if you passed that one by.

I have played Dragon Age Origin. I thought it was a good game until the very last mob.
I played the first Witcher only.
Never played Mass Effect or Vampire will look into both those as well.
I found a long thread on Path of Exile which is a FTP style.
Some of these as I read the names it jogs my memory that I passed them up because I was playing an online game and didn't have time for a single player at home. Then I forgot about them.
Several members of my family ask me what I want for Christmas now I know what to tell them.
Thanks for the list so far if there are anymore bring them on.

I'm glad you found your copy of Baldur's Gate. It's a great RPG of course I would just highly suggest one modification. If you do a search online there are lots of scripts you can find that will make your life a lot easier when you play. For instance it will tell your players to attack with a mele weapon if they run out of arrows, or to run away, or to react otherwise normally to situations instead of having you micro manage every single action. It makes the game totally way better to play in my opinion.

* JC's Baldur's Gate Teamwork AI Scripts v2.1 (http://www.citilink.com/~jch/bg/TW.html)
It seems pretty basic. There's scripts for both ranged and melee combat oriented characters and all it seems to do is to keep them at the appropriate range and use the most suited weapon. Also, they seem to automatically heal, assist or remove poison depending on context.

I don't know if it will work with the Enhanced edition. I seem to always go back to the original version of most games because they always seem to play the best. A lot of times the updated graphics or something will actually change the gameplay and make it worse.

You can go straight into the Witcher 3, it's the best one, probably one of the best rpgs of all time.

Mass Effect is probably the best sci-fi/space themed rpg you'll find and you'll REALLY want to play them in order, as the games tell one long continuous storyline that carries over your character and choices that you make from the previous games.

Vampire: TMB is unique in terms of its setting/character, being one of the few vampire themed rpgs out there. Make sure if you do get this one that you install the fan patch for it which updates and fixes a lot of things over hte years since its release, the fan patch comes in two flavors, a general update/bug fixing version (which is the one you should use for the first playthrough) and then one which includes things that were left out of the game/incomplete, like new characters, story elements, etc. It's recommend you do not install this version until you've played through the vanilla one at least once.

You're looking for an RPG and you HAVEN'T played TW3?? Uhhhmmmm...

There is more cRPG goodness to be had in Wasteland 2 and Tyranny. I'm looking forward to Torment: Tides of Numenera which is supposed to come out next year. You can get its predecessor, Planescape: Torment, on GOG right now.

Back