Stop Windows' auto-detection madness!

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a way to stop Windows from auto-detecting when an HDMI monitor (TV) gets turned on or off?

I'd guess this might require some type of "faking" EDID information, or manipulating Windows 7's monitor detection functions.

PROBLEMS:

(Setup: Windows 7->7950 (HDMI)->Yamaha receiver->Samsung HDTV )

1.) Windows continues to reset the system speaker configuration away from a "7.1 full-range" setup to "Stereo". These resets happen when either Windows reboots, or I turn my HDTV monitor off/on.

This resetting coincides with Windows reporting the audio device as a different name -- sometimes reporting as the Yamaha receiver, sometimes reporting as the HDTV ("Samsung").

Is there some bungling of HDMI/EDID handshaking that's causing Windows to think that the receiver and HDTV are new devices every time (thus defaulting them to stereo)?

2.) Whenever I turn a "smart"-connected monitor off -- either an HDMI or DisplayPort device -- Windows has a digital seizure, jumbling windows/folders/programs across the still connected monitors as it works to get remove the "smart" display. This likewise happens when one of these is turned on.

Is there a way to stop this insanity from happening? Like, perhaps by "emulating" a display even when it's turned off (w/ EDID info?) so it still appears to Windows as connected?

Gefen makes something that would probably work. I used one so Windows will detect a projector even when it's off. Had a problem where if the projector wasn't on when Windows booted it wouldn't ever detect it.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-edidp.jsp?prod_id=8005

A little pricey but I couldn't find a cheaper solution. I didn't pass audio through it so I'm not sure if it will help with your speaker setup.

I've got a Gefen - it works. Can be a PITA to set up, but once it's set up, it's GTG.

I have the Gefen thingy too. Works like a champ, not too hard to setup either.

Well worth it.

Is there some bungling of HDMI/EDID handshaking that's causing Windows to think that the receiver and HDTV are new devices every time (thus defaulting them to stereo)?

It depends on the HDMI configuration of your receiver. If your receiver is set to pass through the sound configuration of the TV when it is connected rather than reporting its own capabilities, you can get that kind of behavior.

With Windows 7 you can create your own .inf file and load it to override the EDID detection of your video card, but if you upgrade to Windows 8 with that fix, you'll have to download some dev tools and digitally sign your driver yourself to be able to load it.

To get bitstreaming to work with early revision ATI HD5450 drivers you had to do this even if your amp was configured correctly:
Bitstream fix thread on AVS

I have W7 64 and Yamaha RX V571 to Samsung and do not have this problem at all. The PC runs most of the time and I shut down everything else when not in use. What Yamaha do you have?

On the Yamaha
HDMI Control set to off
Audio Output set to Amp =on HDMI to TV = on
Standby Through set to on
Processing set to on

I have had a 6670 used and now I have a AMD A8 5600K as video. Both have worked flawlessly

If that does not work the download and install This http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?langid=1&pfid=24&level=4&conn=3&downtypeid=3
Check box next the one that says ATI HDMI driver

And of course make sure your w7 is up to date including SP1 and all drivers

Last edited:
Gefen makes something that would probably work. I used one so Windows will detect a projector even when it's off. Had a problem where if the projector wasn't on when Windows booted it wouldn't ever detect it.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdmi-edidp.jsp?prod_id=8005

A little pricey but I couldn't find a cheaper solution. I didn't pass audio through it so I'm not sure if it will help with your speaker setup.

I've got a Gefen - it works. Can be a PITA to set up, but once it's set up, it's GTG.

I have the Gefen thingy too. Works like a champ, not too hard to setup either.

Well worth it.

Add me to the list of Gefen owners. Works like a charm.

Eek, that thing is expensive as sin! At least, for the amount of electronic-ry that it seems to be.

I'm guessing the HDCP handshaking isn't as easy/simple as scraping together the components yourself in a DIY project from RadioShack...?

It depends on the HDMI configuration of your receiver. If your receiver is set to pass through the sound configuration of the TV when it is connected rather than reporting its own capabilities, you can get that kind of behavior.

With Windows 7 you can create your own .inf file and load it to override the EDID detection of your video card, but if you upgrade to Windows 8 with that fix, you'll have to download some dev tools and digitally sign your driver yourself to be able to load it.

To get bitstreaming to work with early revision ATI HD5450 drivers you had to do this even if your amp was configured correctly:
Bitstream fix thread on AVS

Interesting! So would forcing the EDID through software stop the detection altogether? Like, what would happen when either device (receiver or TV) is powered off or on? What about during a system reboot?

I have W7 64 and Yamaha RX V571 to Samsung and do not have this problem at all. The PC runs most of the time and I shut down everything else when not in use. What Yamaha do you have?

On the Yamaha
HDMI Control set to off
Audio Output set to Amp =on HDMI to TV = on
Standby Through set to on
Processing set to on

I have had a 6670 used and now I have a AMD A8 5600K as video. Both have worked flawlessly

Interesting. I have a Yamaha RX-V667. My TV is a Samsung plasma from last year. I leave my computer and receiver on 24x7, but turn the TV off when not in use.

I'll try those settings and report back -- thanks for that.

Regarding this issue -- further research points to a common "problem" that's been complained about for years to Microsoft and the Windows' realm. It all has to do with monitor "autodetection" capabilities and functions, which are built into monitors and Windows (and apparently can't be overridden with Windows API).

A solution I've just read about is covering up "pin-19" in an HDMI cable -- the "Hot Plug Detect (HPD)" pin. Once this pin is covered, the system will no longer trigger hot-plug events, thereby fooling Windows to think that the display is still connected and powered, even when it's not.

This is the crux of the issue, what differentiates a DVI display from an HDMI/DisplayPort (in this context) -- the latter displays are seen as plug-and-play devices, and so Windows is basically creating a "new" device when they're reconnected/powered back on. This must be why Windows keeps resetting my sound config to the default "Stereo" setup.

So I'm hoping this pin-19 blocking will help resolve the problem. My worry is that it'll work, but only until the system is rebooted -- at which point, Windows won't be able to detect the HDMI display as part of the system anymore, and thus, get rid of it (along with my sound).

If this is the case, I'm really hoping there's a way to force the monitor/display configuration to stay -- perhaps this is what "forcing" the EDID config is for -- and hopefully being able to do such without a physical (and bat-expensive) device.

EDIT:

For reference, a post from my research that seems to sum up the issue and workaround:

I just did the removal of pin 16 on the DVI cable connectors to both my Windows 7 machine and Windows XP machine and now they stay on, even if I disconnect the HDMI cable in order to switch from one machine to the other. Works like magic. As long as the monitor is connected when the machine is powered on it will stay on! I guess this is a bit like the early days of Plug-and-Play, when it was still called 'plug and pray'. In this case, the 'green' OS discovers that a monitor gets disconnected and turns the video signal off, but when you re-connect it, it doesn't know what to do. This is just unfinished software. In my mind there should be an option in the video control panel that you can change from 'auto', meaning automatically detect monitor disconnect and reconnect, to 'ignore' monitor disconnect. I am thinking of modifying my monitor, to interrupt the 'Hot plug detect' pin with a switch and set it to 'off', so that I don't have to modify any more cables (I am currently connected to 5 machines.) And when the software works properly one day I can set the switch to 'on' again.
And a StackExchange post:

I have a solution but I don't know if it only works for me. You have to setup in display/screen resolution your monitors(plasma whatever) to be generic non-pnp monitor
For example: I started Windows 7 with my monitor closed and plasma didnt get recognized
And I didn't clicked on detect, I leaved the greyed out display and just select the option:
multiple displays:extend these displays
I also did that before with my main display Sony CRT monitor.
So now I can start Windows with everything turn off and when Windows 7 loads up and i turn on my plasma and sony crt everything is in place
And doesnt get undetected.
If your generic non-pnp monitor doesnt give you resolutions you need you can create them (custom resolution) with Nvidia control panel.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/2_FAQ/HDMI_Trouble
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/154438-hdmi-power-saving-mode.html

Last edited:
Be aware!
The link above could be a scam or have malware.
It was posted by a 3 day old newb, his only post.

It has been reported.

edit
pls ignore, post has been deleted now :)

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but the issue remains. I just switched from VGA/DVI to DP and found this wonderful "feature".

Interesting! So would forcing the EDID through software stop the detection altogether? Like, what would happen when either device (receiver or TV) is powered off or on? What about during a system reboot?

Regarding this issue -- further research points to a common "problem" that's been complained about for years to Microsoft and the Windows' realm. It all has to do with monitor "autodetection" capabilities and functions, which are built into monitors and Windows (and apparently can't be overridden with Windows API).

A solution I've just read about is covering up "pin-19" in an HDMI cable -- the "Hot Plug Detect (HPD)" pin. Once this pin is covered, the system will no longer trigger hot-plug events, thereby fooling Windows to think that the display is still connected and powered, even when it's not.

This is the crux of the issue, what differentiates a DVI display from an HDMI/DisplayPort (in this context) -- the latter displays are seen as plug-and-play devices, and so Windows is basically creating a "new" device when they're reconnected/powered back on. This must be why Windows keeps resetting my sound config to the default "Stereo" setup.

So I'm hoping this pin-19 blocking will help resolve the problem. My worry is that it'll work, but only until the system is rebooted -- at which point, Windows won't be able to detect the HDMI display as part of the system anymore, and thus, get rid of it (along with my sound).

If this is the case, I'm really hoping there's a way to force the monitor/display configuration to stay -- perhaps this is what "forcing" the EDID config is for -- and hopefully being able to do such without a physical (and bat-expensive) device.

I ran into this too. If you have a Quadro card, you can force load EDID profiles from file instead of from the monitor. Search for "Managing a Display EDID on windows" and there should be an NVidia article on it on their website. This following bit may be useful as there are a few settings like this on the HP and apparently some Samsung monitors:

The important part is, these are HP monitors EliteDisplay 241i.
Go to the on screen menu > Input Control > DP Hot-Plug Detection > switch it from Low Power to Always Active.

And finally, search for "monitor detect killer" for an HDMI dongle. I reached out to both that guy and Monoprice to see if they'd make a DP-native dongle so you wouldn't have to buy DP to HDMI, that HDMI dongle, then HDMI back to DP to get a solution that doesn't involve DIY pin blocking. I haven't heard back from either but it can't hurt to ask, I figure.

Back