Stop windows 98 from restoring explorer windows after restart?

i just installed win98 on an old machine to try to get some use out of it (utorrent doesnt work on linux) and when i restart it opens back up any windows explorer windows i had open before the restart. is there any way to disable this? it's annoying.

In Windows Explorer goto the Options and View Tab

Scroll down to "Restore previous folder windows at login"

additionally before shutting down windows98
I cntl-alt-del >> stop everything except the
5 or so needed for the shutdown that
remain (rnnaap etc are not needed anymore), most of which you can also
do by right or left clicking on the icons on the lower
right; then a defrag which should only take a minute or
two if it is run each time.
a few other things useful. It can run 2 antivirus and
two firewall at once if they are compatible and if it
has enough memory

In Windows Explorer goto the Options and View Tab

Scroll down to "Restore previous folder windows at login"

i went into folder options and under the view tab i have no "Restore previous folder windows at login" setting, nothing even close to that.

but i have tweak ui on here and i just looked through it again and theres a "Save Explorer window settings" option that says it saves the settings of windows for when you reopen them and it also restores windows on restart. but thats kinda weird cuz i want the first part enabled and the second part disabled... hmm i just tried disabling that option and it didnt work.

Weird, I just happened to have a Win98 PC up and running when I read your original post and checked to make sure that option was there in Win98 (couldn't remember for sure since it's been a long time) before I posted.

It's at the bottom of the list if you scroll all the way down, its like the 5 or 6th one from the bottom.

Sorry to threadcrap but have you ever tried uTorrent in Wine. It works nearly flawlessly for me.

i'll see if i can get a screenshot tomorrow. could it be that this made the option disappear:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Unofficial-Windows-SE-Service-Pack.shtml

(i didnt wanna have to download every update from microsoft, also didnt wanna register with ms)

Sorry to threadcrap but have you ever tried uTorrent in Wine. It works nearly flawlessly for me.

thought about it but whats the point of running 2 operating systems at the same time when i really only need one, and plus this computer is so old and slow i need every spare resource i can get.

Is this Win98 or Win98SE? If I remember right, SE has that option and the other does not. I could be wrong, so I'm installing Win98SE into a VM just to see though.

EDIT: Nope I'm wrong. These all the view options for Win98SE.

Nice, that is a good bit of trivia.

So, where is that setting in 98SE then?

Nice, that is a good bit of trivia.

So, where is that setting in 98SE then?

I don't know. I can't find it anywhere. In fact, I'm not sure why the OP is having this problem because this fresh install of Win98SE does not display that behavior. All opened folders remained closed after a reboot. Maybe it's possible that the OP hasn't mistakenly installed Win95 instead of Win98? Or he's using a cusomt 98Lite build and it's using the 95 Explorer.

I don't know. I can't find it anywhere. In fact, I'm not sure why the OP is having this problem because this fresh install of Win98SE does not display that behavior. All opened folders remained closed after a reboot. Maybe it's possible that the OP hasn't mistakenly installed Win95 instead of Win98? Or he's using a cusomt 98Lite build and it's using the 95 Explorer.

nope i havent installed 98lite yet, still thinkin about it. but like i said a few posts back, i installed this unofficial 98 service pack cuz i didn't wanna register with ms and download them all from them http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Unofficial-Windows-SE-Service-Pack.shtml
if theres a better way to install all the winupdates like some other pack with all of em lemme know.
oh and ya its win98 second edition 4.10.2222 A

Somewhat offtopic, but utorrent runs fine via wine.

Also, there are comparable/better linux torrent clients available, including deluge and rtorrent. Might want to check them out if your goal is to revive an older machine as a torrentbox.

nope i havent installed 98lite yet, still thinkin about it. but like i said a few posts back, i installed this unofficial 98 service pack cuz i didn't wanna register with ms and download them all from them http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Unofficial-Windows-SE-Service-Pack.shtml
if theres a better way to install all the winupdates like some other pack with all of em lemme know.
oh and ya its win98 second edition 4.10.2222 A

I had no problem downloading all the updates and didn't have to register on the VM I just set up. Well, 'no problems' isn't entirely true. I did have to update to IE6 before WU would work.

Maybe it's possible that the OP hasn't mistakenly installed Win95 instead of Win98? Or he's using a cusomt 98Lite build and it's using the 95 Explorer.

My install of Win98 had the setting. I didn't know if it was 98 or 98SE though. It's gone now, so I can't check it again.

My install of Win98 had the setting. I didn't know if it was 98 or 98SE though. It's gone now, so I can't check it again.

I don't know where you would have seen the option. I've been all through Win98 and Win98SE looking for it and can't find it. Neither version of this OS is displaying this behavior. I'm installing straight from my pressed Win98 and Win98SE cds. I even installed TweakUI 1.33 trying to find it, but it's not in there either.

I also installed NT4 w/SP1, and it does restore previously opened windows and I couldn't find anyway to turn it off.

The only thing I didn't look at in any case was directly manipulating the registries.

Here is the registry setting for XP, maybe 98 is similar?

http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=5943

You can use Windows Explorer's Folder Options to check or uncheck Restore previous folder windows at logon on the View menu.
To uncheck this via the registry:
1. Copy /Paste the following to a PersistBrowsers.reg file:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000000

2. Merge the PersistBrowsers.reg file with the user's registry or run regedit /s PersistBrowsers.reg.

3. The user must log off and log on for this setting to take effect.
To check this via the registry:
1. Copy /Paste the following to a PersistBrowsers.reg file:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"PersistBrowsers"=dword:00000001

2. Merge the PersistBrowsers.reg file with the user's registry or run regedit /s PersistBrowsers.reg.

3. The user must log off and log on for this setting to take effect.

Met-Al I added the registry key you provided and it did enable that feature. So OP. You'll have to go into your registry and hunt down the key and remove it. Might try looking for it in the LOCAL_MACHINE hive as well

EDIT: Just made an entire new key that adds the checkbox to the View --> Folder Options box that allows this feature to be enabled/disabled.

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\PersistentFolders]
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"HelpID"=""
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"Text"="Restore previous folder windows at logon"
"Type"="Checkbox"
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"ValueName"="PersistBrowsers"

:D

Nothing like fiddling with an OS that is almost 10 years old!

I still remember when it came out, there were people on the internet saying "Screw that, 95 is way better. 98 is bloated and full of bugs and will not ever take off" (some of those exact same people are on this board nowdays saying the exact same thing about Vista)

i just installed win98 on an old machine to try to get some use out of it (utorrent doesnt work on linux) and when i restart it opens back up any windows explorer windows i had open before the restart. is there any way to disable this? it's annoying.

ahaha reminds me of my first computer, i had this all the time

not sure if i ever fixed it, but i learned i had to close the windows on restart if i didnt want to close them when it booted up

Met-Al I added the registry key you provided and it did enable that feature. So OP. You'll have to go into your registry and hunt down the key and remove it. Might try looking for it in the LOCAL_MACHINE hive as well

EDIT: Just made an entire new key that adds the checkbox to the View --> Folder Options box that allows this feature to be enabled/disabled.

Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\PersistentFolders]
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"HelpID"=""
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
"RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
"Text"="Restore previous folder windows at logon"
"Type"="Checkbox"
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"ValueName"="PersistBrowsers"

i searched the registry for PersistBrowsers and nothing came up. i made that code u posted into a .reg file and added it to registry, the option showed up in folder options but it doesnt change anything and even if i enable it and click ok, it will be unchecked when i open folder options again.

i searched the registry for PersistBrowsers and nothing came up. i made that code u posted into a .reg file and added it to registry, the option showed up in folder options but it doesnt change anything and even if i enable it and click ok, it will be unchecked when i open folder options again.

hmm, that's odd because it worked for me. You must have some program interfereing with the registry setting.

Back