STOP errors, V64 - Im exhausted

GDubbR

n00b
Hey guys, its been awhile since ive been back on forums but sure enough, i need the help. Just recently (a few days ago) i decided to up my rig. I went from an Opty 165 -> FX-60, evga 7800GT -> evga 8800GTS, and from 2x1GB OCZ Gold PC4000 -> 4x1GB G.Skil F1 PC3200.

Everything has gone relatively smoothly except for the FX-60. Every time I boot up i get to windows (Vista 64) and after 3-5 mins i BSOD w/ a stop error, every time, without fail. The frustrating part is that every time I bsod i get a different error just about every time. Ive searched and searched and have yet to find solutions. Ive tried the FX-60 w/ the old OCZ memory, and the old GPU, and i get the same result. Ive made sure everything is updated, flashed BIOS, and most recently I tried installing SP1 (with no difference, good or bad). I had a problem getting all 4GB of RAM to be recognized. Ive solved that. Several of the error messages have pointed towards RAM issues but ive run memtest fo r 8 hours straight with 0 errors. many of the errors seem to be related with ppl doing either new installs of vista, XP, or server 2003. none of which match my issues or any means of solving.

Oh, I also must mention that the FX-60 runs perfectly fine in safe-mode. and any time that i swap the Opty back in, it runs perfectly fine.

So here's a list of the errors, hopefully one of you great minds can work with me here.
0x00000050 Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area Npfs.sys
0x00000024 ntfs.sys error
0x0000003B System_Service_Exception Ntfs.sys
fltmgr.sys error (didnt write down the error code :sigh:)
0x000000D1 Driver_Irql_Not_Less_Or_Equal
0x0000001A Memory_Management
0x000000101 (one of my first errors, all others are more recent)

ive gotten the 50, 3B, and 101 a couple of times, but they are all seemingly completely random

after I got the ntfs.sys errors i ran ChkDsk /f on the next startup to check my drives and it came up with relatively nothing. only 8kb in bad sectors.

Ive thought about doing a cleen sweep and reinstall, but I have a feeling im gonna have the problems that others have had with BSODs on install.

Thanks guys!

I'd say download the Ultimate Boot CD iso, burn it, and run a memory test or 2.

If the memory checks out, then the problem is elsewhere.

If it comes up with errors in the same memory location, it is likley the memory.

If it comes up with errors in seemingly random locations, it is the memory controller or the motherboard.

Post results and I can advise further. (I'm the resident hardware expert for our Internal Support crew, so I've done this many, many times.)

thanks dgingeri,

im working on that download now.

ill let you know shortly what i come out with.

Check the timing on your ram, too. Make sure it's running at what it's supposed to be running. I've heard that vista is pickier than XP when it comes to ram timings, and some motherboards don't actually set it properly when it's on Auto.

ive gotten the 50, 3B, and 101 a couple of times, but they are all seemingly completely random

That's your first clue to say hello to a hardware issue somewhere in your chain. :)

Others have said it, but start w/ the RAM, then work your way back.

The only one that makes me a little worried is the 101;

The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bug check has a value of 0x00000101. This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.

Are you by chance OC'ing that processor? Have you made sure that CPU is set up properly in the BIOS (all the multipliers, vcores, etc.)?

I'm thinking it's the processor, too. The memory controller is on the processor, as well as the circuitry for connecting the dual cores, and this could be caused by any of those. I would bet that the memory tests show up with random errors at random addresses in only 2-3 of the tests.

i havent checked the timings and made sure of the CPU settings to spec. and no its not OC. its brand new, set for the first time.

The only thing that has me kinda off is if maybe its still thinking that I have the Opty in it while i have it switched out. everythings registering fine and it shows me that it reads it as an FX-60 but maybe its keeping my same clocks and multipliers as the Opty

does that seem legitimate?

i really dont think its the RAM at all. like i said i let it sit all last night, 8 hours actually, on memtest86+ and it was still sittin at 0 errors. so im assuming thats that. if the errors were less frequent, then yes i can see a problem with the RAM somewhere. but the fact that it errors every time i boot up, that doesnt seem likely at all

im gonna try and dump everything and reinstall vista entirely. ill let you guys know how that works out shortly

and PS i burned that Ultimate Boot CD. but it wouldnt read it on boot, i dunno what the problem was with that. either it didnt burn correctly or i have a problem with my CD/DVD drive. which, hasnt had any problems in the past, just like everything else. lol

ill keep yall posted

Ive come to the conclusion that Its gonna be the proc acting up. so Im gonna RMA that and see how that ends up working out

ill keep u guys posted on how that works sometime next week

thanks for the help and advice so far guys, appreciate it!

Back