Stop 124 errors overclocking Haswell

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Trying to oc my 4770k on a Asus Z87-A board with 16gigs of Crucial Ballistix Sport memory. Memtest ran for over 12 hours with no errors. Memory is good. I am running Prime95 in blend mode and it's crashing after not even 5 minutes. I have my multi set to 42 4200mhz and my voltage set manually to 1.200. My cpu cache ratio is set to 39. Everything else is set to default. Not overclocking my memory, running at it's default 1600mhz.

What could be causing the stop 124 errors? I am not doing a crazy overclock here. Please help as I'd like to get this stable at least at 4200mhz. Windows runs fine and I can play games no problem. Just when I start prime95 it bluescreens after 5-8 mins.

My heatsink is a CM 212 Evo and my cpu has been delidded. Temps are fine showing at 60-69c.

Thanks for the help. :)

Last edited:
As far as I know 124 errors are voltage related. Try setting your cache voltage to 1.150v. My 4770k requires 1.235v vCore and 1.150v vCache to be stable at 4.3ghz. I'm using an Asus Z87-Pro.

either increase the voltage or lower the multiplier. That is what a prime is for.

I've tried setting the voltage to 1.235 and cache to 1.150 and it blue screens under the blend test in not even 3 minutes.

Did I just get a shitty cpu or is there anything I can do?

What is your LLC set to? Try something more aggressive like High or Ultra-High (or 4-5).

Jarablue, I recommend you going back to the start/basics (even though 4.2 is not an outrageous overclock). So set it back to default of 3.9 at default everything, run test. Stable, up multiplier by 1, test (run for like 30-60 mins or whatever you are comfortable with). If it fails, up core voltage by 0.025 (or whatever increment you feel like) and test again and adjust till stable. Do this until you either reach 4.2 and then do a more extensive stress test session. If you reach ~1.3 on core voltage before that time and/or your temps go nuts 90+, I would suggest you stop and most likely you got a crappy chip. In general you should not need to tweak cache voltage, but as one member already mentioned there are exceptions.

Back