STOOOPID noobie question... I'm embarrassed to even ask,....

geckoman

Limp Gawd
But I've got an old laptop that has some files on it (photos, documents, etc) that I want to transfer to my new laptop... I thought I could just connect the two of them with a CAT5 and transfer the files... but it doesn't seem to be working....

Like I said, I feel like a MORON for even having to ask for help with this, but I know that you guys have always helped me in the past without making me feel like an ID10T ... so I'm asking again...

I'm running XP SP2 on both lappys ... what do I need to do?

Use a crossover cable between the two PCs if you are not using a hub or switch. Once you do that you should be able to go to start > run and type \\pcname (substitute PC name for the name of the PC you are attempting to access). You also need to establish shares, or you could move your files into the default shared documents folder.

The easiest way is to hook both laptops into a router that will automatically give each laptop an IP address. Then you would just setup a Share of whatever data you wanted to transfer on the old laptop and then browse use the My Network Places to browse to the old laptops share on the new laptop and copy the files.

The other way, if you want to directly connect them, would be to assign static IP's in both of the laptops Local Area Connections. Something like:
Laptop1:
IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Laptop1:
IP address: 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then you would get a CROSSOVER Ethernet cable, not Straight-through like a normal Ethernet cable, and connect the computers together. Then follow the same steps in setting up a Share of the data on the old laptop and browsing to it and downloading it on the new laptop.

Like I said, the first option is a little easier.

Let me know if you need more info, this was a higher level explanation.

Ryan

Or transfer via wireless ad-hoc mode if no wireless AP is available.

Or use your flash drive.

Or burn the files to a CD.

Or directly connect with a null modem cable.

Or connect both hard drives to the same computer.

Or use a crossover cable.

Or .... or..... well, that's about it, unless you used something else painfully slow like infrared.

Thanks guys... unfortunately the old laptop doesn't have a cd burner.. and I'm NOT using floppy disks!! LOL ... I don't have a crossover cable, just a regular ethernet cable,.. so I just hooked both up to my router and am transferring them that way.. .I was just hoping I could connect them directly together with the cable.

Thanks again.. 'preciate the help :)

Well, for future reference, crossover cables are very easy to make. Just look up 568A and 568B and see how they're wired. On a crossover, one end is 568A and the other is 568B. it's a useful thing to know, if you're into that sort of work. :)

Back